Concrete instead of gutters?

Old 02-01-17, 05:25 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Concrete instead of gutters?

I just purchased a small house that I'm rehabbing. The house has no gutters and has soil next to the fieldstone foundation. My first instinct was to put up gutters, but there are tall trees near the house and I know from my own house that even with gutter guards, plenty of junk still gets into the gutters. This house will be a rental property, so I won't be there all the time to see how the gutters are working. Plus, there is no room to get a ladder up to clean the gutters on one side of the house. You'll see that in the first picture below.

My question is...is it feasible to put a concrete trough on each side of the house that the water can run down and away? The property slopes on both sides towards the backyard. I figure that this way, the water won't be able to just percolate down next to the foundation and I won't need the hassle of gutters.

Name:  IMAG1528a.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  50.0 KB

This pic shows the roof from the front:
Name:  IMAG1630a.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  44.8 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-17, 06:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 234 Votes on 214 Posts
Yes it is feasible. I've seen high end developments in forests and nobody had gutters. They all had 2' wide concrete strips around the perimeter of the houses. They had a shallow v to act like a ditch and had an exposed aggregate (pea gravel) finish to be more attractive.

Old 02-01-17, 09:23 PM
Received 29 Votes on 25 Posts
First thing I'd do is get rid of those trees, there an eyesore, going to to cause mold issues on the siding, foundation problems.
Who want's to look out a window and see a bush?
Also a good place for someone to hide when there breaking in.
A quality gutter with built in gutter guard is not going to plug up.
Not sure how it works around they but here they will come back and clean the gutter for free if it ever plugs up.

Old 02-02-17, 04:58 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Joe, those trees may be on adjacent property and wasn't a part of the original question. Gutters are not guaranteed not to clog up. Only the aftermarket gutter guards are, so the OP would have install gutter as well as the gutter guards to keep from having to perform clean out.

As long as there is adequate slope to keep the water away from the foundation, you would be good with the trench approach. I would make it a directive flow mechanism, like Dane suggested.

Old 02-02-17, 06:19 AM
Group Moderator
Received 234 Votes on 214 Posts
The concrete strip/trench is also a good application here where there is masonry foundation to a good height. That will help keep the wood and siding up and out of the splash zone.

Old 02-02-17, 08:19 AM
Group Moderator
Received 49 Votes on 46 Posts
I did something similar in the back of my house by putting landscaping pavers bordering the rock adjacent to the house right where the water drips off the roof so it quit eroding the dirt and just flowed away from the house at that point.

Old 02-02-17, 04:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks everyone for your input! Seems like most of you agree with my concrete / no gutters plan. Joecaption mentioned the trees along the side, but those are actually just tall shrubs, and the hide an abandoned house next door. It's a beautiful old house built in 1865 that is actually still owned, but she's just letting it rot away.

Stickshift...funny you mentioned pavers, because I was thinking that if the concrete contractor wants too much money, Home Depot sells 16"x16" pavers and I might try to do it myself with those.

Thanks again folks!