Asphalt roof replacement & underlayment questions

Old 03-06-17, 08:32 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Asphalt roof replacement & underlayment questions

Hi all,
We're starting to get bids on replacing our 20 year old roof and this will include new gutters/drain pipes and (2) 40ft. lengths of Fascia.
The current gutters and fascia are 35 years old and made of vinyl - which have degraded and cracking with deterioration.

Dimensions are 25ft x 40ft with a slight pitch (12/2 or so), Ranch style design. Roof was replaced in 1997 with 25 yr. rated asphalt shingles. Plywood roof underlay was replaced with 3/4" OSB
A 16ft x 18ft Sunroom was added in 2000.
We've had no leaking and shingles are still in good shape though starting to show some signs of aging but none loose or missing.

My first bid includes 35 year rated Architectural shingles and Titanium underlayment. I don't know anything about Titanium underlayment - Will this be a satisfactory replacement for the rubberized Weatherguard used in 1997 Main Roof/2000 Sunroom for the first course of shingles and the roof-valley areas where the Sunroom meets the main roof? Or should I specify that it be used?

On the bid, I noticed no references, no mention of material/workmanship warranty - so I thought I'd post on this forum to see what the Pros recommend in terms of a good bid, what should be included and also to see what I am missing or need to add.
Thanks,
greynold99
I expect to get bids from at least 3 contractors

Old 03-06-17, 01:31 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
Watch for items like "replace flashing if needed, instead of replace all flashing"
Replacing as needed gives them an out to cheapen up the job.
Vinyl gutters and fascia was just a bad idea, and likely a DIY fix.
You want seamless gutters, oversized down spouts for less plug ups.
If you can afford it go with something like gutter helmet gutters and have have to clean them again.
Have all the wood wrapped in aluminum coil stock.
Any roofing job no matter what materials you use is only as good as who installs it.
Any real roofing company is going to give you a written warranty of at least a year againt leaks, if it has not leak after the first year it's likely not going to.
Do not choose a roofer just because he gives you some silly figure like 10 years instead of the other bidder giving only a 5 year warranty.
Who's to say they will even be in business in 10 years.
What's the roof have for venting?
Ridge vent works best, it vents the whole roof, not just a circle.

Old 03-06-17, 02:27 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I do some trim work for a GC here, and when I get to a new house before CO, I look up and his roofer NEVER uses edge drip flashing. It looks terrible and in a year the shingles will be drooping over the edges. Make sure he installs new plumbing vent pipe flashing and boots, and if you have a chimney make sure the flashing around it is done properly. Joe hit on most of the areas to watch out for.

Old 03-06-17, 02:30 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
When I lived in fla I never heard of anyone installing a shingle roof without a drip edge. I was shocked when I moved to tenn and noticed that at least half of the roofers/builders don't use them I wouldn't consider installing a shingle roof without them!

Old 03-09-17, 07:45 AM
G
Thanks everyone for your replies and information.

Joe - I did have one question on your recommendations as I am not sure exactly what is meant by having '... all wood wrapped in aluminum coil stock.' Can you give me some insight on what wood and where this wrapping needs to be done? Also, by aluminum coil stock - are you talking about the flat rolls of thin roofing aluminum I've seen in the home improvement stores?

In answer to one of the questions asked in reply... When we replaced the roof and underlayment 20 years ago, the roofer did put in a ridge-vent along the top, the full length of the roof. And there are 2 small corner-eve square vents, one on each end of the side walls.

The roofing contractor we're working with now has indicated that he replaces all drip edge and uses the Ice-guard along the outer roof edge and along the valleys of the sunroom.

greynold99

Old 03-09-17, 10:12 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Aluminum coil stock is the roll of aluminum you've seen. It is cut and then bent on a brake to cover whatever wood it is covering. Basically you are covering the painted wood with aluminum so it never needs painting again. This is especially beneficial when covering a fascia board that gets a gutter mounted to it.

Old 03-10-17, 07:35 AM
B
Received 13 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Last summer by niece's hubby did my garage roof, fascia and soffits in metal. I don't think they bent anything, he asked the color and it came in big pieces.

I think he used 'F' channel against the wall to hold the soffit, then the fascia goes from there up under the drip edge... NO more painting for me.

I don't heat it now but he decided to put ice shield I think 3' inside the walls if I ever do heat it, something about code.

Name:  facia 16.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  27.0 KB

Looks good to me.

Old 03-16-17, 10:44 AM
G
Baldwin,
Just out of curiousity, did you compare replacing Garage roof with Asphalt vs. Metal - and if so, do you remember about how much difference there was in price?
I know you probably didn't have the full labor cost with your niece's husband doing the job - but I was just curious about the cost difference in material...
Thanks,
greynold99

Old 03-16-17, 01:35 PM
B
Received 13 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Sorry, I see I didn't phrase that right. He tore off one layer of 3 tabs and installed some architectural shingles, the fascia and soffits are metal in Navajo White.

...probably didn't have the full labor cost with your niece's husband...
No, he doesn't work that way, even for his mother-in-law.

He's very picky, does it right and you pay for it which I was quite happy to do.

Garage is 26x40 with two foot overhang on the long side and one foot on the ends... six bills.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: