Gap between garage wall and bottom of roof

Old 04-13-17, 03:13 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gap between garage wall and bottom of roof

I'm not sure where to put this thread, or what the best title would be.

Basically, I have mice and other small rodents getting in my garage, and tonight I think I found one of the places they're getting in.

At the top of the garage wall, there is this black paper material. In some places it is stapled to the roof above, other places it's not. In one spot, it was clear a mouse had chewed through the paper. I am thinking about blocking off these areas with foam board or something, would that be ok? Or is this some type of venting that needs to be open, and maybe a metal mesh would be better. The garage already has a gable vent (I think that's the proper term?) on the side, so there should already be some airflow without these gaps open.

The house had wood siding replaced with vinyl siding about 5-6 years ago, so I don't know if that's where this black paper material is from, or if it is much older. It's an old house, maybe 1920's, but the garage is a later addition, maybe 1970's.

You can click the thumbnails to see larger images.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-17, 04:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 168 Votes on 149 Posts
Are there soffit vents on the exterior side?

Old 04-13-17, 05:25 AM
Received 168 Votes on 156 Posts
My first thought is that the black paper is felt and was installed behind the siding as a water barrier but it should be visible on the wall unless you have an interior wall.

I had mice in an attic once and believe they were coming up the corner pieces of the vinyl siding. If there is evidence at the top of the walls somehow they are finding a way up there.

Old 04-13-17, 04:00 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you for your replies.

Come to think of it, I did check the outside of the house in the area shown in the pictures, to see if there was any way they could be getting in. I didn't really see anything when I checked last year, and again today.

There are soffit vents.

There was clear evidence inside the garage that there had been heavy mice traffic in that area inside the garage, where the black paper type material was, and where it had clearly been chewed up by mice. So maybe mice were trying to get out that way, and not get in that way? I guess I could double check outside again to see if there is another way they could be entering, since I know it doesn't take a very large gap/hole for them to sneak through.