Shed roof meets wall, how much room do I need?

Old 04-15-17, 05:38 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shed roof meets wall, how much room do I need?

Building what is basically a shed that will become a chicken coop (yeah, really) the design I'm working is a semi-monitor roof, with windows on the wall above where the roof comes in. I'm trying to figure out how much room I need under the window. Window will have a 3/4" flange, and aluminum wrapped 2"x4" trim around it. I know I need flashing to shed water onto the roof, but I don't know exactly how to tie this all in.

From the roof below the window I need 1/2" OSB, felt paper and asphalt shingles, how much room do I need to leave for that? Then I need flashing I think, and that goes up the wall a few inches. Frantic googling is not helping much and most videos show finished wall/roof now how to get to that point. Siding on the rest of it will be vinyl, do I need a strip of siding or something to cover the join between window trim & flashing?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-17, 06:44 AM
Group Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 274 Posts
Its not an exact science, but you should be able to figure out how much room you need. You should probably leave 5" or so between the decking and the sill of your rough opening. That will leave a good 1/2" for shingles, a little space between your wall flashing and 2x4, then your 2x4 trim and your 3/4" flange. This way you won't have any j-channel or siding under the window trim. Your window should be shimmed up about 1/2" above the rough opening too, so that gains you a little more.

Old 04-15-17, 06:58 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
If I'm reading what you're asking correctly, (I'm a retired architect), the absolute, drop dead minimum distance from the window sill to the roof surface below was 8". We considered 10" or more to be desirable. That wall from the window to the roof surface was completely covered with flashing. This was applicable to our MN climate, which would be the same as WI.

Old 04-15-17, 06:58 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks, at least that gets me in the right ballpark. I can probably work out the detail bits later. I just didn't want to paint myself into any corners before I even started building

Bruce, I assume the 8-10" is to allow for the snow accumulation on the roof?

Old 04-15-17, 07:17 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Yes, snow and ice too. Heat loss from windows likes to melt snow and start building ice below the window.