Thought I had a leaky window...

Old 05-01-17, 08:00 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thought I had a leaky window...

Before buying our house a leaky 1st floor window found during the home inspection and was supposed to have been fixed. Come to find out, after periods of heavy rain, it hadn't been fixed and we just spent ~$3k to replace it. Trim hasn't been put back up yet and after several more rains I thought the problem was solved. BUT, after strong storm went through tonight, I noticed there was still a leak somewhere.

This time I was able to see that the water was coming from somewhere above the window between the exterior wall and header. Window was properly flashed and taped, so I have no idea where water could be coming from. The house is 2 stories and there is a window above this one, but I'm still stumped as to how or where water is getting behind flashing. It must be coming from somewhere above and just running down the wall? There's no signs of water damage on the interior wall on 1st or 2nd floor, at least to the naked eye.

PLEASE HELP! I am less than a novice when it comes to this type of stuff, so I just have no idea...

Here's a pic and you can see the dark wood above the middle panes of the window.

Name:  IMG_0957.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  20.5 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-17, 09:04 AM
Group Moderator
Received 216 Votes on 201 Posts
A picture of the exterior would help. My guess is that the top nail fin is on top of the wrb (it shouldn't be). Siding above the leaking window should be removed to see.