What would you do with this new roof?

Old 05-26-17, 08:08 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What would you do with this new roof?

Purchased everything for a roof job, OC trudef duration, silver under, ice & water etc. Husband and I decided to hire out job. Finally found a contractor, two other were no shows, I am in a rural area and finally found this fellow through the building store, he said he had already done 20 roofs (last Fall), his facebook's first words are "we do roofs right the first time".

I told him what I wanted done and said I wanted roof done to manufacturers specs. He gave me price and I agreed to it. He showed up this Spring and due to ill pooch I couldn't be home the morning he was to arrive. I had all the supplies sitting on the deck for him .. he just had to show up and do the job.

A week before the job I also flipped him another email requesting he stick to OC installation .. he says no problem. Anyhow, job done .. hubby came home late afternoon and they were pretty much done. He paid them without looking at the job .. he is too trusting.

The pics are some of the issues. There are so many nails 1/8 " to 1/4" high, nails above surenail strip, below it, seams on nails, overlapping cut pieces mid run, no underlayment in some areas, underlayment in other areas, nails too far from roof edges on and on... I am bewildered. I told him I had some issues and need to send him some photos because all of a sudden he won't be around this town for a bit.

I am struggling with what to do. There really is too much to repair, every time you turn around you see something else. I don't even want this fellow back on my roof .. even to redo it .. plus, I don't think he will. What are some solutions I may be missing. Do you think this shingle job is as bad as I think it is? I would think that the overlapping pieces would increase risk of roof leaks big time? feedback appreciated.

I am quite sure I can sue him for breach of contract because I did specify in an email what I wanted, he agreed to it, then I emphasized the OC specs a second time. Call me anal but I even cut the instructions off a bundle and had put bullet points by the nailing pattern and shingle courses .. basically saying ... make sure you do it like this. I left it for him with the supplies on my deck. He still didn't follow them. Kind of looking at ideas other than court. The notes on the photos are to let him know where he deviated. Owen Corn has confirmed that the wind warranty is void based on the photos.

Name:  Patchwork Nails Courses.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  50.0 KB

Name:  Patchwork.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  49.5 KB

Name:  Shingle Application not followed.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  50.0 KB

Name:  Flappy edges.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  49.6 KB

Name:  Shingle Overhang.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  50.4 KB

Name:  Exposed nailing flange.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  49.6 KB

Name:  Nail through shingle (2).jpg
Views: 823
Size:  49.9 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 05-26-17 at 09:51 PM. Reason: reformatted text/added space to pictures
Old 05-26-17, 09:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
It's very hard to read one big paragraph so I reformatted it for you. I also added spaces between the pictures. The space keeps the pictures from running into each other.

I'm not a roofer so I can't tell you what to do but you have every tight to be upset.
That is one miserable job. I'm not even sure it can fixed.

I am quite sure I can sue him for breach of contract
Most contracts specifically mention "workman like" manner. This term, an industry standard, refers to the desired and acceptable standard of quality of work and materials on a construction project.

I believe you are located here in the States and should change your bio location to that state.

Hang tight.... the pros will be by.

Old 05-27-17, 03:20 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Is it too late to stop payment on the check?

Old 05-27-17, 03:56 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
By all means take legal action. This in fact a bad job. Try to find out the other roofs he did and talk to those people.

Old 05-28-17, 09:12 AM
M
Thanks Pete, didn't intend to write it that way. I hate reading one long paragraph myself.

I am in Ontario, Canada but also have a place in Wisconsin .. so posts have been north and south related. I will specify next time.

This fellow gave me a price and he said cash. When I confirmed I asked if it was total, inclusive of any taxes and he said yes. My husband paid him and didn't get a receipt. I asked him to send me one for my records and he said he thought it was a cash deal and if I want a receipt I will have to pay him another $290 so he can put it through his business. This is all via email.

Anyhow, my biggest concern is all the patchwork and the risk of leaking. I read stories online about people that get a new roof and it leaks and I wonder what exactly what the issue was for them. We did caulk all the nail pops, placing where nail is right on a seam, exposed ... not sure what to do about the overlapping pieces??

We plan to just rip it off and replace it, I had more faith in my 20 year old roof than I do this one.

Some contractors like to take the money and run and never do the job. I wish that was what he had done here ... I would at least have my 35 bundles of shingles intact, my Silver, and rest of supplies. This is a bigger hit.

Check out this nice cut on the drip edge. A spider has found a home. As we were redoing the fascia and doing away with the gutter I said I didn't want the drip edge bent out or damaged for the gutter ... no problem, says he .. he just drops the gutter a bit.... not

Name:  Right side Drip Edge.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  31.0 KB

Old 05-28-17, 11:24 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
The words I think of to describe this roofing job are not fit for print I doubt you will ever find out who his previous "references" were, as he probably just made that up. 20 jobs like this and you'd have to be fast to leave town early enough before the first one caught up with you.

I don't think you have any legal recourse since the payment was made in cash, although admitting about the $290 could border on tax evasion, but that's not up to you. Sometimes we have to bite the bullet, and I would do it sooner than later, expanding on your well founded fears of leaking.

Old 05-30-17, 11:00 AM
M
Cash is an acceptable form of payment here in Canada. He took cheque or cash. I have proof of payment via emails , just don't have a receipt.

I did talk to him ... he thinks he did a great job. Yes, he said a great job. He said the great thing about architectural shingles is you can patch them like that, saving the consumer some money. The shingle companies just have you making the cuts suggested as a way to make the consumer pay more .. as in more shingles. I had 47 bundles for the job, (7 for a porch roof) he used 35.

He said he put underlayment down and yes he did, in some locations it can be seen and in others it cannot be seen. It wasn't installed properly otherwise it would be visible everywhere I lifted the shingles.

While talking to him it was obvious he just did not get it that there is a proper way to roof and there are good reasons for it. He basically thinks what he is doing is right. I have always thought that the person to know the product best is the manufacturer so why not follow their instructions.... with anything. He basically laughed and I could tell he was thinking I was just a worry wart. Well, I wasn't until he touched my roof.

He has agreed to meet so that is good.

If anyone has any words of wisdom for this fellow .. please post them. I am going to gather some info for him here and there from people in the work , forums etc. He needs to see what he is doing is not right AND he did say he does all his roofs this way.........

Old 05-30-17, 02:11 PM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
If you plan on perusing this legally if he does not fix the issues then I would suggest you get another qualified roofer and pay them to inspect the job and write down any and all problems as they see it. Take plenty of pictures and document everything. Try and get his other customers and see what they have to say. From here on end get everything in writing and if he does not want to put anything in writing be sure record all conversations.

Old 10-30-17, 08:07 PM
M
Follow up ... I let them know I was prepared to go to court so .. they came and ripped it all off, they replaced my materials, redid the back side of house that was high (I had my hard hat on), wrapped the rest of roof deck and hubby and I finished the rest. I really did not want them doing any of it so we limited them to the highest area of the roof. Turned out fine.

Old 10-30-17, 09:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Thanks for letting us know how you made out. I was wondering.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: