Install new roof OVER woodstove apex flashing?

Old 06-01-17, 03:27 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Install new roof OVER woodstove apex flashing?

Hey all - I had a roofing contractor surprise me with the suggestion that I would NOT need to remove my apex flashing for my wood stove, before he installed my new roof. Since my wood stove chimney exits dead-center at the apex of my roof, the flashing actually straddles the ridge of the roof. It seemed odd to me that he would leave the old shingles under the flashing, then just install the new shingles on top of everything. Does anyone know if this is a common practice? I think I'd prefer to just remove the thing and have the roof installed under the flashing. After all, it's a fairly heavy gauge of stainless and not only do I question the ability of the roofing gun to properly seat the nails after powering through that stainless, but I'm not sure I want my expensive apex flashing peppered with nail holes. I'm also wondering how it would look, since there will clearly be an elevation difference considering the rest of the roof will be stripped of the old shingles. Any info would be greatly appreciated. THANKS.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-17, 04:28 PM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I'm not sure I want my expensive apex flashing peppered with nail holes.
That's what crossed my mind when I read your post for the simple reason that when we used to install skylights, the boss always warned us not to damage or nail through the copper flashing. As far as it being common practice, I have no idea.

Old 06-01-17, 09:30 PM
J
Received 79 Votes on 74 Posts
We can not see what your seeing without a picture.

Old 06-02-17, 03:47 PM
S
Thanks for the replies guys. As to not attaching a picture, the job has not yet been done, so the only picture would be of my flashing, which is pretty self explanatory; it simply straddles the ridge of the roof, with the stove pipe coming straight up out of the center of it. My roofer wants to install the shingles ON TOP of it (without removing the old shingles from UNDER it. Was just wondering if anyone else has had this suggestion from a roofer? THANKS again.

Old 06-02-17, 04:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
What's he going to do with the hump? IMO, the flashing should be removed, shingles laid and flashing laid on top, eliminating the second layer at the chimney.