Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Roofing, Gutters and All Waterproofing Anywhere
Reload this Page >

Leaking sliding door under hurricane shutter - how to fix?

Old 06-04-17, 11:55 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Live in a 20 yr old 3 level townhouse directly on the Chesapeake Bay with 3 Andersen sliding glass doors that face the water. We moved into the house 3 yrs ago and when we have heavy wind driven rain, all 3 doors leak from the top rail of the moving panel of the sliding door. Just a slow drippy leak but the bottom track fills up pretty quickly with water during heavy rains.

Each door has a hurricane shutter installed on top which manually rolls down using a crank inside. We had the outside caulking around the door and hurricane shutters replaced - but it still leaks. There is very little clearance between the hurricane shutter and top of the sliding glass door from underneath - can barely get my fingers up there. But I cannot see or feel a J channel between the siding and top of the sliding door. I feel a pretty large space between the top ledge of the sliding door and the siding - at least an inch or more deep and an inch wide. I cannot feel any type of caulking in this area. As I said, I can barely see this area from below and can barely reach my fingers into this area - only about 2 inch clearance max - maybe less.

Any thoughts on the source of the leak and what to do??

I was researching online and thought I could maybe use butyl putty tape in the area between the siding and top of the sliding door - but it is only 1/8" thick and the gap is quite large - so would likely not fill much of the area and cannot see what I am doing anyway as I would be putting this in place only by feel.

I think the putty tape comes in 1.5 inch wide rolls - so I could roll it into a rope shape and try to push it into the bottom of channel as best as possible. Is it worth a try as it would be a royal pain in the butt to do?

How about plumber's putty - the pliable stuff you put around big holes around pipes both inside and out. Does this stuff come in 1 or 2 inch round ropes versus the blocks sold in big box or plumbing supply stores?

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Old 06-04-17, 12:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 990 Votes on 901 Posts
Where the water is leaking is a critical clue to where the leak is originating, and without a picture pinpointing the location, it's pretty difficult to make an intelligent reply.

Generally when there is a leak on top of a door, water is getting behind the nail fin, gets on top of the door jamb and ends up dripping from the point where the jamb meets the casing (or drywall). This is a flashing problem that can only be solved by removing the siding above the door, adding a self adhesive window flashing tape to adhere the fin directly to the sheathing, (over the fin, under the housewrap) and then detailing the housewrap correctly (over the fin and flashing tape on top, not under the fin.) In your case, the shutters would need to come off as well as the siding.

Adding caulk and putty to the outside would not be helpful as it does not get to the source of the leak, which is generally water from above that is already trapped behind the siding. If your deck is cantilevered, that can also be an issue as they are hard to flash correctly. When one window or door is directly above another you almost always have leakage that originates from the door or window directly above.

Exterior pictures would help. Interior pictures pinpointing the leak location would help.

Old 06-04-17, 12:56 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
XSleeper:

Thanks for the quick reply. Sort of tech challenged - so will research how to load pics???

So removing the hurricane shutters, then siding, and adding flashing under siding over sliding doors - sounds rather complicated and expensive. So would I use a window or siding repair person??

The sliding glass doors are located right under each other off the 3 wooden decks on each level. So that is an issue in itself based on your comments.

Joyce

Old 06-05-17, 06:34 AM
J
Received 107 Votes on 94 Posts
First thing I would look for is if they used Z molding, and installed it correctly, (tab over the ends so water did not run down the trim joint) over the top of the door before installing the J molding.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naJwQRVlFsM

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: