Roofer or Handyman

Old 12-07-17, 09:49 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Roofer or Handyman

I found a few loose shingles. Please see the video (sorry for shaking) and the photo of the shingle. Should I call a roofer or try to find an insured handyman? What would be the approximate cost? I have unused extra shingles.

https://youtu.be/T4Hd2qCcV-s

Attached Images  
Old 12-07-17, 10:06 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
Probably a handyman. No roofer will want to do a small Job. You would have to ask what their minimum charge is... And ask how much time that covers.

For instance if their minimum is a 1 hr / $100 charge, you might as well find a few other things for him to do... clean your Gutters or something.

Old 12-07-17, 10:39 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,262 Upvotes on 1,203 Posts
This is potentially a DIY job if you want us to walk you through it.

Old 12-07-17, 10:44 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
As said, a handyman should be able to do the job. I am always cautious about roofing work or anything else high though. If they fall while working on your house you will really want them to have their own insurance and workers comp.

It would also be best if they can do the work on a warm, sunny day. The heat will soften the shingles so they can pry up the good shingles without them cracking.

I really expect to see more nail holes in a shingle. It looks like your roof may not have been installed properly, going cheap and not using enough nails. I see a nail hole at the very top but there also should be nail holes near the adhesive band in the center. No holes usually means no nails. You can sorta get away with fewer on shallower pitched roofs but a steep roof in the north really needs all the nails. Google "architectural shingle nailing pattern" and you'll see some recommendations/instructions.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: