Valley Weave How?

Old 05-09-01, 06:46 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

Can anyone explain in detail how exactly to do a valley weave with dimensional shingles. I am building a new house and am starting from felt.

THANKS!!!

Old 05-09-01, 11:02 AM
Visiting Guest
Woven Valley: A valley construction whereby the valley has a woven look which is effected by overlapping alternate courses of shingles from both sides of the valley.

Closed-Cut Valley: A method of valley application in which shingles from one side of the valley extend across the valley while shingles from the other side are installed over the top of those and then trimmed back approximately 2 inches from the valley centerline.

Open Valley: A valley where both sides of the roof are trimmed back from the centerline to expose the valley flashing material beneath.

I prefer the closed-cut valley.

I first use 12" flashing up the valley under the felt. Lay the felt. Start in the gable side of the valley and step up all the way on that side. Make sure you have at least a full shingle of unlap all the way up the valley.

Next start up the main roof side start with a half-tab or more of lap and step up the rest of the valley. Measure about 2" to 3" from the bottom of the vee and snap a chalkline to the top of the vee. This is where you cut back the overlap tabs.

I try to snap lines every other row on my shingles to keep them straight. This helps in your valleys too.

Old 05-09-01, 11:26 AM
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the information, but I still prefer the weaved look to the closed cut look. Can you tell me how to do this? Do I simply alternate the lap from the rake side to the main side as I work up the valley? Do I leave a full shingle lap on each side?

Thanks again!!!

Old 05-09-01, 05:12 PM
Visiting Guest
Basically yes.

Old 05-10-01, 02:42 AM
Visiting Guest
and....if you are going on two differant pitches then you will have fun.we weave valleys here every day its simple but ugly i think.a closed cut valley looks so much better ,easier and works just as good.if you have your mind made up thats what you want just be sure the vee part(where they overlap is in the middle of the valley,sometimes you have to run 2-3 courses from one side or you will be up out of the valley itself.easy to do hard to explain.good luck

Old 05-10-01, 05:50 AM
Visiting Guest
Thanks All!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: