Radiance Barrier

Old 05-10-01, 08:19 AM
Visiting Guest
I am having my roof replaced and will install a radiance barrier at that time. My current roof is a 3-tab over cedar so both will be removed and plywood or OSB decking will be installed over the 1x4 nailers. Which would be more effective and cost-effiecient? A TechShield decking or a radiance barrier paint applied to the decking/nailers after installation?

Old 05-11-01, 03:17 AM
Visiting Guest
excuse me but......what are you talking about?radiance barrier?roofing for over 20 years and have never even heard of such a thing maybe i'm just dumb but i am sure i would have heard of it.i get alot of contractors mags, in the supply house most every day please explain what it is and why you would put one on

Old 05-12-01, 04:49 AM
pgrfr
Visiting Guest
freejeff,
go here, read this.

http://www.radiancecomfort.com/Produ...%20Barrier.htm

Radiance barrier is a paint that is used on roof decks and ceilings.

Old 05-12-01, 05:48 AM
Visiting Guest
guess i learn something new every day.my only thought about using this is,wouldnt it send more heat under the shingles making them dry out for lack of a better word?prematurely aging them i guess is what im trying to say.would be interested in hearing about this product how it works in the south etc thanx

Old 05-13-01, 03:03 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
These kinds of paints have been around for awhile, however, using them may void your shingle guarantee. I will not use them on any job.

Old 05-13-01, 07:16 PM
pgrfr
Visiting Guest
I would say that using a paint like this on ceilings should be sufficient. With this barrier plus sufficient insulation there's probably not enough radiant heat in the attic or crawl space to warrant the extra work or expense. Also, as Jack mentioned, it might shorten the life of the roof. If this product deflects radiant heat from the sun, as it claims it does, it must be directing the heat through the roof a second time. In a sense, your roof will be twice as hot. Insulating below roofs has been a problem for years. The sun shining on roofs warms them to temperatures much higher than the air temperature. At night as the temperature drops the roof goes through a dramatic change in temperature called "thermal shock". The more the structure is insulated the less heat is present under the roof to slow this change down. This is true in both winter in the north and summer in the midwest. The temperature of the roof may be 30-40 degrees cooler at night. This constant expansion and contraction of the roofing material will shorten the life of the roof. Insulation and concern over heat loss is a good thing but can be overdone as far as I'm concerned. If using a product like this saves you money on heating bills over a few years it might be outweighed by having to reroof sooner than you should have. Plus I'm sure it's not cheap stuff.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: