New Plumbing vent thru old cedar shake

Old 02-01-18, 10:19 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New Plumbing vent thru old cedar shake

I am doing over my kitchen soon, and will be running a new vent for the sink up thru the roof -- an old cedar shake roof. I know the roof is good since I did it myself (!) about ten years or so ago. seems to have held up ok with no problems. And when I gut the kitchen I'll get a chance to inspect. But I need to pierce the roof for the vent, and I'm wondering if there are any particulars with a cedar roof? WIth asphalt it seems easier since theare are flexible if your careful and you can peel them back and get the seal underneath. but what about the far more brittle cedar? Can't risk a leak! thx as always. john

Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-18, 01:15 PM
G
no thoughts on this -- are cedar roofs not out there anymore? No one had to put a vent through one? don't want to get the first time wrong -- not likely to be a second! thx john

Old 02-03-18, 01:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 721 Votes on 667 Posts
To do it right you need to remove a few of the shingles in / above that area and tuck new felt under the existing layers. Felt the area. Put down your vent pipe boot. Then lay felt around / over the pipe boot... again, tucking under the existing layers. Lay a row of shingles, then a row of felt, covering the tips of the shingles. Then another row of shingles.

Always remember that it is the layers of felt that protect it from leaking, so the tips of any shingles that you shove up to finish your rows need to go under the felt, not just under the wood shingles above it.

Face nail any shingles you had to pull loose (above the repair) with 6 or 7d hot dipped galvanized nails.

Old 02-04-18, 08:21 AM
G
thank you sounds good! john