Rubber or Rolled Roofing on low slope roof

Old 02-05-18, 11:43 AM
M
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Rubber or Rolled Roofing on low slope roof

this concerns a low slope roof attached on two sides to my house. it covers an enclosed patio and is in need of replacement. The contractor (read: idiot) who did the room did the roof and did a very poor job of it. now, I have to replace/repair it and I'm on a tight tight (did I say tight?) budget.

I know probably rubber is the way to go, but budget says rolled roofing.
that said, the problem with rolled roofing is the side on which the slope connects with existing roof. with Rubber, I can see that I should just glue it (?) up under the existing shingles and over a drip edge, going behind the gutter currently there at the same time. Can the same be done with the rolled roofing?

Now, that stated, the repair would be at this same position. it appears that the rubber roofing was not 'attached' properly and when the gutter gets full and over flows, it gets somehow behind the rubber and causes the leak. I note that when the gutter is clean flowing there is no leak. (At least there appears to be no leak.)

could I just take a 10" wide piece of rubber membrane and attach it over the current roof at the end where the leak is and attach it properly?

I've done minor roofing before (shingles on a big shed, and rolled roofing on a patio cover many years ago) but am pretty much feeling out of my element on this one.

I really appreciate any and all input.

Old 02-06-18, 05:44 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
EPDM rubber is easy to work with. Clean it well, use the proper adhesive. Look online for videos showing different installations. You can buy epdm at garden centers where they sell it for pond liners. The MAIN thing I would look for is how it is installed ( attached) to the shingle roof. Rubber should go up under the underlayment of the shingles if possible, no holes when attaching the gutters. If gutter spikes are used when the gutter gets full, water will seep around the spikes. Plan ahead, you can do it !

Old 02-07-18, 06:37 AM
M
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Thanks for that input, especially on the EPDM "Pond Liner"

I am pretty sure that the leakage I have had is due to the gutter being installed OVER the rubber and spikes being driven into the rubber. Since the rubber goes behind the gutter, how does one install the gutter? Adhesive?

It could also be the fact that this rubber roof was not 'glued' in place, but simply laid out and nailed at the edges. The rubber as it goes up behind the gutter is not adhered to the wood or anything.

so, if I use adhesive properly and get the rubber installed properly, the gutter being nailed through the rubber woudn't make any difference, am I right?

I'm a newbie at this for sure!!

Last edited by Marvinator; 02-07-18 at 08:24 AM.
Old 02-15-18, 05:19 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You can find a example at: guttersupply.com They are called: K style T bar hanger They probably have them at a local roofing supply store, but not at some of the big box stores.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: