Tricky gutter installation question

Old 04-22-18, 10:44 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tricky gutter installation question

Hopefully this is the right place for this question...please let me know there is a better place. My issue is that I had an addition put on my house and they did not install gutters. The channel that the old roof and the new roof make together causes a serious amount of water to be coming down so I installed a guttter on the new addition which is on the right of my picture which solves my problem for the most part. I also purchased gutter for the left side but I'm having trouble figuring out what the best way to bring them together would be. I couldn't just use a 90 degree inside corner as the heights of the roofs differ by like 6 inches. Is it okay to slope the left gutter down to the right and just have no end cap so that the water falls into the lower gutter? I originally thought I would have an end cap and cutout a hole in the end of the gutter and drop it down but there just seems to be roof tile and other things in the way. If there are any gutter experts out there that could give me some thoughts I'd appreciate it as the guys at HD didn't have any.

Attached Images  
Old 04-22-18, 11:57 AM
Received 533 Votes on 493 Posts
Need some close up photos, cant really see what you have there!

Old 04-22-18, 12:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 989 Votes on 900 Posts
You would put an end cap on both ends of the left gutter... but if you want it to drain into the gutter on the right, you would put a 3x4 outlet and a very short piece of 3x4 downspout onto the bottom right side of the left gutter so that it can dump directly into the gutter on the right.

Either that or make the left gutter slope to the left and put the outlet on the far left end, where it can have its own downspout. If you get a lot of heavy rain, you would benefit from 2 outlets one on the far left of the left gutter, one on the far right of the right gutter. And a deflector on the front of the gutter at the end of the valley.

3x4 outlets and downspout handle twice the water that 2x3 outlets and downspout do. I don't know why anyone uses the small stuff.

Old 04-22-18, 12:44 PM
R
Wow thanks for the quick replies. Here is a close up shot of the situation. You can see part of the tile reduces how far I could bring in the other gutter and that is why I didn't think there is enough room for the drop in on the right. I did think about sloping the gutter to the left and putting another downspout which is a possibility as well.

Attached Images  
Old 04-22-18, 01:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 989 Votes on 900 Posts
The left gutter will get an end cap and butt into the tile on the right roof. You won't be able to get the gutter high enough to go above the tile. Leaving the end of the new gutter open is a bad idea because it would likely overwhelm the corner with water if the entire left gutter was pitched back to the right and allowed to overflow. It would force water back behind your corner flashing.

Old 04-22-18, 06:12 PM
R
Thanks a bunch. Didn't have time this weekend but next weekend I think I have the plan!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: