Roofing- Left over materials - Still usable ?

Old 05-02-18, 06:38 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Roofing- Left over materials - Still usable ?

Hi, This In regards to replacing my garage’s roof.

I currently have the opportunity to buy some left over roofing materials and as we are on a tight budget this would be ideal.
I do have questions and I was hoping you can help with the following:

The materials:
1. Bundles of GAF Timberline (High Definition) – Architectural – 30 yrs shingles:
- I believe this is Asphalt organic with Fiber Glass.
2. A roll of GAF-Felt-Buster (A Synthetic underlayment, peel and stick).
3. A roll of GAF-Weather-Shield (Ice and water shield) - Peel and stick.

The left overs might be from a FALL job or maybe older than that, not sure…

A. Concerning the two Peel-and-stick rolls, Synthetic Underlayment and the Ice/Water shield, can these be “Not Usable” anymore:
- if too old
- if left outdoors during a cold winter, i.e. under a tarp. Coldest (-31 to -35 F)
- if left in garage (Not insulated)
- can the glue (sticking) loose its strength ??

B. Same question with the shingles:
- left in the outdoors in their bundles (packaging).

Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

Old 06-20-18, 04:22 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The shingles will have a manufacture date on package that will let you know their age. I wouldn't buy shingles out of package, those should be given to you.

I'd look for any holes/rips/tears in underlayment Avoid using if any of these items are discovered and penetrate more than first layer or 2. Proceed if price is good and visual inspection indicates roll in decent shape.

Does manufacturer provide any storage requirements for peel n stick on their product specs? I deal with hot weather all the time and cant speak for the cold. BTW - not sure there's any "glue" on the peel n stick.

Old 06-20-18, 05:01 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
The biggest problem with using shingles that are not all of the same lot (same date of mfg) is that the color can be a little off. You might not notice it when you are laying the shingles, but when you stand back and look at the roof, it can have the appearance of a patchwork quilt.

Old 06-20-18, 05:19 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
The biggest problem with using shingles that are not all of the same lot (same date of mfg) is that the color can be a little off
Very true!! I roofed a shed once using leftover shingles. Most was leftover partial bundles from the jobsite [different houses, same builder] I had to buy 2 bundles. All the same brand/color and it looked good going down but once down you could stand back and see that some of the white shingles had a grey or blue or green cast ..... but it was just a shed and once it all got a good coat of mildew you couldn't see the difference.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: