To Techshield or not

Old 05-15-01, 08:59 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

We are in the process of building a home. My contractor says that "TechShield" (a Louisiana Pacific product) used as my roof decking will decrease the life of my shingles by 1/2. Is this true? I want to maximize my new home's energy efficiency.

Please respond ASAP. They will be decking it next week.
Thanks
Jeff Kolk
kolk@txucom.net

For info on Techshield see http://www.lpcorp.com/press/release.jsp?ID=73)

Old 05-16-01, 03:37 AM
Visiting Guest
after reading the posted link i think i would have to agree with the builder.about the only way i can explain my thinking is the sun comes down and heats the shingles-then the heat comes back up and heats them again from the under side so you have twice the amount of heat i dont know it, just makes sense to me that would not be as good as letting some of the heat escape away from the shingles.maybe someone who has used this product for a few ttears could tell you more ,and i dont mean the factory rep lol

Old 05-16-01, 03:45 AM
Visiting Guest
i have been thinking a little more about this probably you should get in touch with whoever you are getting you shingles from and ask them-opinon,warranty etc.still doesnt sound good to me.see ,if you think about it a bit when you insulate your attic if you use faced insul.it goes to the living side so there is air movement up to the peak.if the foil is part of the decking there is nowhere for the air (heat) to go but back up.dont belive i would want it on my house

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: