Mysterious Leak at Base of Stone Wall

Old 06-11-18, 08:21 AM
Mysterious Leak at Base of Stone Wall

After having rain during the last 2 days, and also rain more frequent than normal for the last few weeks, I noticed that water was coming out at the mortar joint at the base of an outside stone wall. This is a small amount of water that runs continuously even though it did not rain in the last few hours. See red arrow in the pictures. Some of the water is getting to the basement.
The stone veneer has some cracks at the mortar joints but it is hard to imagine that enough water went through the cracks to create this problem.
Could this be a problem with the siding or the roof? I don't know how to start diagnosing this problem. I would appreciate any ideas.

Attached Images     
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-18, 09:02 AM
Group Moderator
At first I thought you were talking about a retaining wall. Yes, water coming out of there is a problem. It means water is getting in somewhere. The interior walls of your house are likely wood and there is likely wood behind the stone veneer so keeping it dry is important.

Finding the source of the water will take some investigating. It could be the roof, flashing around windows or door. With all those dormers and various roof/roof and roof/wall interfaces there are a lot of areas that need inspecting. If the water continues to run it could even be a leaking water pipe.

Old 06-11-18, 12:17 PM
I don't believe there are any water pipes in that part of the house that could explain the problem. Also the concrete blocks painted white seem to be in good shape and should not let water inside. That leaves 3 options: siding above, roof and stone veneer. The first two seem unlikely to me. How would the water get precisely behind the stone veneer without any water damage visible in the inside drywall?
I may try sealing the cracks in the stone veneer mortar if the water stops and the stone dries.
I wonder if using clear silicone would be a good idea.

Old 06-11-18, 02:31 PM
Group Moderator
Water can travel a surprisingly long distance before appearing. It may be down the back side of the studs without ever getting to the front side where it might soak through sheetrock. I know it won't be easy with your house but a thorough visual inspection would be my first step looking closely where different surfaces meet or differing materials meet. If nothing turns up you may have to pick a time with good weather and soak areas of the house with a hose and see what causes the water to come out the weep hole of your stone veneer.

Old 06-11-18, 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by sssanti
I may try sealing the cracks in the stone veneer mortar if the water stops and the stone dries.
Just make sure to leave the bottom weep hole open, it's job IS to let water our from behind the stone veneer.

The pictures from further back show light tan spash stains near the electic meter,
looks like the gutter on the left clogged or backed up and had water running over.
I'd suspect water running along the siding seams (over the double window) and getting behind the stone veneer or running down the wall.

If this hasn't happened before, I'd clean the gutters, double check for a pipe leak, but wouldn't bother tearing into things to look just yet...

Old 06-12-18, 08:16 AM
This morning I found that the problem is actually a water pipe as you had suggested. Water was still coming out after the rain had stopped for a full day. I looked more closely in the basement and I found the pipe.
Thank you for your reply and suggestions. They were very helpful.

Old 06-12-18, 08:23 AM
Thanks for the reply. I found that a water pipe was the problem. I was focusing on rain as the cause of the problem because it has been raining very heavily lately.
You are correct, the gutters do need improvement to avoid future problems.

Old 06-12-18, 08:33 AM
Group Moderator
Glad you found it. Any idea how long it has been leaking?