Downspout cannot handle volume

Old 06-11-18, 12:57 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Downspout cannot handle volume

One of our downspouts cannot handle the volume of water during heavy rain. What's worse, the overflow splashes against the electrical switch for the outdoor tankless water heater. The switch is well sealed, but this strikes me as an accident waiting to happen.

The downspout drains into a drainpipe that runs under our driveway. I don't know if the problem is that the drainpipe is clogged or if we've just had too much rain. The terminus of the drainpipe is currently in standing water. Maybe the water just has no place to go.

This only happens in really wet season like we've had this year. So I was thinking about attaching a second downspout to make the overflow gracefully flow onto the driveway instead of splashing out of the gutter. Ideally, the second downspout would just handle overflow, but I can't figure out how to accomplish that.

Old 06-11-18, 01:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Could be that the downspout is plugged (have you taken it apart and checked?) Or the pipe under the driveway is silted in, and needs to be cleaned out. More likely it's also a small downspout (3x4 moves twice the water that 2x3 does). Also a long pipe that is constricted or is too small has no ventilation will not be able to drain quickly.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: