Cutting and reattching downspouts?

Old 06-27-18, 08:33 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cutting and reattching downspouts?

I have a question regarding downspouts. The background is I am getting a building (built in the 1920s) sandblasted and restuccoed. It really can’t take another painting (and still look beautiful) hence the decision to consider restuccoing. I have a few years left on my roof warranty. The building has a flat roof and about a year ago the roofer honored the warranty owing to a problem with the scupper. I don’t want to mess with anything having to do with that top part of the downspouts for fear of voiding any warranty or making it debatable should there be Any future problem.

There are 5 downspouts of which 2 are sort of loose I think due to not being bonded to the wall from old paint and loose brackets. These are also at the front of the building. I am thinking of cutting the downspouts near the top where possible, so the area normally behind the spout can be restuccoed. I looked behind and it seems there is not even any paint there currently. Is it possible to cut and patch the downspouts or will it all look ugly and I should forget it and just have new stucco put on around the downspouts?

Attached Images   

Last edited by PowerNovice; 06-27-18 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Fixed text for precision
Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-18, 08:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 641 Votes on 593 Posts
I doubt you will have to cut anything... they surely come apart somehow.

Old 06-28-18, 12:41 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sorry what do you mean they will come apart? I am a novice at all this. Tnanks.

Old 06-28-18, 01:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 71 Votes on 64 Posts
Some are riveted together and some are screwed. If riveted just drill out rivet and either re-rivet them back or use a screw,

Old 07-28-18, 07:37 AM
Received 66 Votes on 62 Posts
You could try measuring down from the top of the down spout 10 or 12 feet and see if you can locate a joint in that area.
Geo