window well window leaks water

Old 07-05-18, 05:32 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
window well window leaks water

I have old window well and window frame leaks water. What should i buy to make it stop? caulking, foam? Should I try to remove window frame and fill caulking around or should i just put sone caulking on top without removing?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-18, 05:56 AM
W
I assume from your statement that you have a "window well", that the window is located below ground level, and is actually in a window well? If so, why is the window leaking? Is the well properly draining to your sump, or is it holding water? What is the construction of the window? (IE: wood, vinyl, vinyl/wood, aluminum, steel?)
And lastly, what is the composition of the frame that the window is mounted in? Concrete, concrete with wood frame? etc etc.
Need some more info.

Old 07-05-18, 06:59 AM
T
yes window well and window is below ground level, frame is i think aluminum and it is leaking from 1 point, dripping..., on top left. concrete aroubd wibdow

Old 07-05-18, 07:19 AM
W
Ugh, I was afraid you were going to say aluminum. My first suggestion, is that you add some flashing via epoxy around the top of the window against the concrete so the water never hits the window frame. Probably a much quicker and cheaper alternative than any other, and since it is in a well, will not be too much of an eyesore.

Your only other option with aluminum would be to seal it shut with pure silicone, and I would advise against that, because you will probably never be able to get the window open again.

If you go the flashing/epoxy route, make sure your surface is CLEAN, as most epoxy's will eat paint and fall off within a few days. Use a wire brush in conjunction with some solvent suitable for whatever paint type is on the concrete.

The above are the cheap, easy and quick routes to solve the issue. If these do not sound good to you, perhaps its time to pony up for a modern casement window and follow manufacturers instructions for install, but that is going to run you quite a bit more $.

Old 07-05-18, 06:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 642 Votes on 594 Posts
It's pretty hard to say without seeing it. But I doubt the sky is falling so don't worry too much just yet.

The thing about windows in window wells is that they are hard to work on so they often get overlooked when it is time to do maintenance. IMO, if your window opens, try to remove the sash from the frame so you can stick your head out there and get a good look. Post pictures if you can. It may just need caulking if it has never been done in years.

But water can also come from higher up, if it gets behind the siding it can then leak onto the window from above. For example, from a window directly above the basement one. In that case, some detective work can help you track down the source of the leak. A few pictures might help us help you. Knowing the type of siding, for instance. Otherwise we are just guessing.