Running rain spout into underground discharge pipe

Old 07-09-18, 12:47 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Running rain spout into underground discharge pipe

The previous homeowners have an underground drain pipe which runs the length of the house to the street. At the rear-most end, the gutters from the rear side of the house discharge into the pipe. Halfway down the house, the sump discharges to it and at the front of the house, the front gutters discharge to it.

The sump was correctly connected, as a spout comes out of my basement to the exterior of the house, then a 90 degree bend down and it stops. Then there is about a 4" gap and then the drain pipe. I'm assuming this is done to prevent a vacuum on the sump?

Anyway, We've always had bad mold in the one corner of our basement. When it rains, I can literally hear water flowing inside the cinder block foundation. Sounds like there's a little waterfall inside the wall. Today I noticed a hole around where the rear gutter discharge goes into the ground. Closer inspection revealed a 12" section of plastic pipe which was supposed to connect the rain spout to the drain pipe underneath, but it was crooked and completely disconnected. It's like a little cavern under there - very eroded from all the rain water being directed right to the foundation!

Before I reattach this extension pipe and reconnect it to the underground drain pipe, a thought occurred that maybe that's not the correct way to plumb that. If we have heavy rain, won't there be no vacuum-break inside the rain spout? I'm thinking that maybe I should just cover up that pipe and back-fill with soil, then just put a 90 degree rain spout piece and direct the rain water into the yard.

Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-18, 02:44 PM
W
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
You did not say what kind of pipe or how the downspout connections are made. I doubt that the connections are air tight. Connect the downspouts to the storm drain pipe. Make sure the downspouts are far enough inside the pipe to take care of any settling of the pipe. No need to flood the yard if you have piping available to move the water away from the house.

Old 07-09-18, 05:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,045 Votes on 969 Posts
Like mentioned.... definitely use the underground line to move the water away from the house.
The large downspout allows plenty of air in for proper water drainage.

Old 07-10-18, 01:30 AM
Received 356 Votes on 332 Posts
runs the length of the house to the street
Drains to the street or to a sewer line?