Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Roofing, Gutters and All Waterproofing Anywhere
Reload this Page >

Roof resheated, looks like they used roofing nails to attach...

Old 07-12-18, 03:54 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Just had my roof re done. The company I had do it got rave reviews (and many) on homestars.

When they ripped off the old shingles I looked at the decking and it was in bad shape (like I suspected in another thread posted here). At that time I made the call to have all the roof plywood replaced because I didn't want to take a chance (roof decking was cracking when you walked on it and in some places if you pushed hard enough it would break through, looks like the heat buildup and lack of ventilation in the attic caused it over the 30 or so years).

Anyways back to the topic. The roofers ripped up all the old plywood and replaced it. When they started I didn't see them with any other nail guns other than the coil nailers they use for the shingles, so I figured they would just swap nails for the plywood.

Later that evening when I got home I went on the roof to inspect the progress and around the gable on the front of the house where they still had the plywood exposed I saw the tell tail sign of a roofing nail (wide head) being used to secure the sheathing.

Now before I had all the word done I did many hours of searching what the correct way to secure the roof sheathing was and nail spacing etc, I never read anywhere that standard roofing nails were accepted.

From the picture does it look like I'm correct about the type of nail being used to secure the sheathing?

https://imgur.com/a/EY5MpHc

If so are my options

a) argue with them to rip off the shingles and fasten the sheathing properly
b) go into the attic space and sister in some dimension lumber on the roof truss and use construction adhesive to glue down the sheathing more securely?

We don't live in a high wind area but I know the roofing nails will eventually allow the plywood to start popping away from the roof truss becoming weak and a risk for the wood to catch and blow away in a severe wind storm.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-18, 04:56 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 590 Votes on 544 Posts
You are correct they look like roofing nails. My big concern is that the nails will fit in a coil guns are short with 1 3/4" being the maximum. I normally use 2 1/2" or 2 3/4" long ring shank or glue coated nails to attach roof sheeting. If you were in a coastal or high wind area like Florida those nails would be a code violation. I have no idea what your codes are but... at this point good luck. If they are a truly reputable company they will rip it off and do over but that's a huge expense. Many roofers might simply walk away.

I don't like the idea of sistering and gluing. I've seen too many instances where construction adhesive has failed. The only proper fix I can think of is to strip the roof and re-nail the sheeting. This means the shingles are going to have to be replaced with new. It's too slow a job to try and remove them so they (shingles) can be re-used.