Leaking roof. Please some advice

Old 07-31-18, 05:54 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Leaking roof. Please some advice

Hello,
I would appreciate any and all advice. (I tried to attach the pictures - but they loaded rotated on the side.) My house is about 10 years old. It looks as though something hit and damaged the roof. I noticed a spot in the ceiling in the garage that looked like a water leak. I went up in the attic and seen where the roof was leaking. How can I fix this before it gets any worse. I am a single mom and I will never see any child support. So I really have to watch my pennies. I would be grateful if someone could tell me how to fix it.

Thank you!

Name:  h1.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  91.8 KB

Name:  h2.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  46.9 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 07-31-18 at 09:38 PM. Reason: resized/reoriented pictures
Old 07-31-18, 06:32 PM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
You know you need to be on the outside to fix it.Much like most foundation leaks. Might get away with roofing cement , hope you have dark shingles. Good luck.

Old 07-31-18, 08:00 PM
E
Yeah, I kinda figured I needed to be on the outside to fix it. Dreading it since I am afraid of heights. I do have dark shingles thankfully. Is there anything I need to do on the inside? A friend said something about some sort of flex seal that I need to use on the inside. I never heard of that. Is this correct?

Old 07-31-18, 08:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
It looks close enough to the stud that you could beat it up with a hammer until it's flat then put a scab of 2x4 onto the side of the other one. As mentioned, the main thing is that your shingles and underlayment be intact, which they clearly cannot be right now.

Using a spray can of anything inside is pointless because it's going to just leak farther down unless you fix it correctly outside. It's probably a 5 minute fix for anyone who has ever laid a shingle in his life.

Old 07-31-18, 09:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
I don't know how long you've been there but it doesn't look like a new problem. I see framing added to help support the roof. I'm not sure I'd even recommend you go up there.

Try to at least locate a handyman. Ask around.... friends, family co-workers. You need to have that looked at.

Old 08-01-18, 02:31 AM
E
Thanks XSleeper,
That is what I kinda thought about the spray can stuff on the inside - the guy who told me about it really doesn't have any experience doing anything from what I am hearing from everything he has advised me on. I have shingles left over from when they built the house 10 years ago. One guy that I know told me how to replace one and patch the roof. I think I will try that when it stops raining.

PJmax, there has never been any framing ever added to help support the roof. Lol! The house is only ten years old. There was a tornado that took out a house about 3 blocks away not too long ago. I figure it happened then.
I don't need a handyman. I fixed my riding mower myself after 3 men couldn't figure it out. I just need the right person to tell me how to fix it. But thanks for your advice.

Old 08-01-18, 06:47 PM
Look on youtube for "replacing shingles that blew off". That will give you an idea of how its done, watch a few of them. There shouldn't be any nail heads visible when you are finished. Let us know if you have more questions or photos of the outside.

Old 08-01-18, 07:06 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
Your friend has no clue about how to repair a roof!
The only hard part about a simple repair like that is finding shingles that match.
It would take me far longer to get to your house and set the ladder up then it would take to do the repair.
See someone show up with a caulking gun or a can of anything, tell them to leave!

Old 08-02-18, 01:56 AM
E
Thank you joecaption, I was thinking the same thing about my friend but thought maybe there is something I am missing. I thought I better ask around first. It isn't leaking bad but I want to fix it before it becomes a bigger problem. I have some left over shingles from when they build the house. I am just hoping my ex-husband didn't do something stupid with them. I should be able to fix it myself with no problem.

Thank you 4135V, I found that video. It looks to be pretty easy. I can handle that with no problem!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: