Squirrels roof ridge

Old 08-11-18, 08:53 AM
Q
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Squirrels roof ridge

Pretty sure this area of the roof ridge is where a squirrel got in to the house. What's the best way to fix this or at least temporarily seal it. Spray in some 1x urethane for the moment?
secondly, what safety gear do I need to get into the roof safely?

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-18, 09:53 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
When I couldn't nail into the roof for roof jacks I secured two "V's" over the peak to provide for the nails. those up and over V's were secured to something solid on the ground on each side. Then roof brackets and planks on each side in your case.

You might need to add a 2x under those V's to get them to clear the peak.

I'm sure others will have suggestions and ropes of course.

Bud

Old 08-11-18, 10:29 AM
Group Moderator
Received 644 Votes on 596 Posts
They make foam closure for the top of metal roofing. It's premised to fit nicely over the grooves. You could take the metal loose on the end, put the closure on then put the end back on.

Old 08-12-18, 06:55 PM
Q
Can squirrels get to the ridge? Not a lot of grip on metal?
So I lift the top pieces off and place the foam in. Does it glue down or screw in?
I presume a replacement metal piece would also do the job...

Old 08-12-18, 07:14 PM
Group Moderator
The closure has adhesive on it, you just remove the tape and stick it down. Then the metal keeps it from going anywhere. If you don't think it needs the foam closure... a well placed neoprene washer barn screw would probably hold the ridge down tight again.

As for the safety harness question, Google "bucket of safety", (bucket of safe tie) it's a kit that will come with everything you need. The d ring is a temporary anchor that must be secured to the framing though the roof near the ridge... after all those fasteners are what your life will be hanging from. Then you want to research the definition of "fall restraint" which basically means you never have enough slack in your rope that you might go over the edge. You keep your rope as short as is practical at all times. That way if you slip you don't go far. The position of the temporary anchor is also critical. You want it as close to the work area as practical.... and you move it if needed... or get more than one if needed.

Old 08-12-18, 07:50 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Wouldn't the foam eliminate the ventilation?

Bud

Old 08-12-18, 08:03 PM
Group Moderator
Hopefully there are can vents elsewhere on the roof... or gable vents. All sorts of critters can get in that ridge if there is no closure... not to mention wind blown rain and snow. He could open a condo for bats in there.

If he wants ridge ventilation, he needs to consider that first. Ventilation is not the only consideration.

Old 08-17-18, 07:29 PM
Q
What's a can vent?
If I use foam enclosures, the only possible vent would be the 2 ends, which also need to be blocked to stop critters.
i only have soffit vents and the top.

Old 08-17-18, 07:33 PM
Group Moderator
Google lomanco 750. That's a can vent. Whirlybirds are also an option. Gable vents should have screen on them.

Old 08-18-18, 03:37 AM
Q
I think gables are generally used here since the snow and ice would either tear off the vent or let water in...but not sure how I could add those into the siding I have...
There isn't take an attic so no gable vents...
also I think the ridge/corrugated part of the roof would prevent installing the vent flat?

Attached Images   
Old 08-19-18, 07:33 AM
Q
In fact, couldn't I just put silicone all along the ridge on both sides after screwing in the lifted metal ridge? The soffits at the top on each end would provide enough ventilation?