Sump Pump running about every 15 seconds

Old 08-16-18, 03:37 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sump Pump running about every 15 seconds

Hi,

There's a sump pump in the crawl space of the home i just moved in to. I've never had a sump pump before and I'm not sure if that's really normal? I live in Ohio and it's been raining on and off since yesterday afternoon. I just realized it was running frequently this morning so I haven't had a peek into the crawl space yet since it's still kind of dark outside.

It seems like the sump pump only ran every several minutes during previous rains, but I really can't remember for sure.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-18, 05:04 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 587 Votes on 541 Posts
Not much we can say since you haven't even gone down there to look at it. If everything is working properly the pump will turn on and run whenever it needs to. There also could be something wrong depending on the switch it has and how it's plumbed.

Old 08-16-18, 05:29 AM
V
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
As a Real Estate Broker, I once had a Lake Front Home for sale where the Sump Pump was activated every 3 or 4 minutes.

When I first went to list it, in silence, I thought something was wrong electronically that some device was being activated so often . . . . as if someone had left a Refrigerator door wide open.

Something was wrong . . . . but it wasn't electronic. The Foundation of the house had been poured at a point in time when the water level of the Lake was low, and so was the water table of the land surrounding the Home I had listed. When the Lake returned to its normal level, the ground water also rose, necessitating the installation of a Sump Pump that ran almost continuously

To get that place sold, I had to convince the Owner to install an automatic battery back-up power supply just to insure that the Sump Pump would ALWAYS be supplied with power to keep that basement dry, and not allow the basement to be swamped like a swimming pool. And that could still happen if the Pump Motor burns out or there''s an extended power outage that allows the batteries to be exhausted.

The should have taken action against the Contractor or Surveyor or Site Engineer or the Excavator at the time of building near this Lake . . . . but now it's too late !

Hopefully, the OP's problem isn't such a chronic condition; but just a temporary seasonal issue that will pass with the rainy season . . . . but it certainly deserves investigation.

Last edited by Vermont; 08-16-18 at 05:49 AM. Reason: punctuation
Old 08-16-18, 05:33 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I was just able to go look. Everything looks dry as far as I can see. I wasn't able to get the window to the crawl space open though it's stuck (naturally). It's till pouring rain. So I guess it's doing the job.