How to fix incorrect roof slope

Old 08-30-18, 08:48 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to fix incorrect roof slope

Hi All,

I bought a house (California) from a flipper who added this addition to the front of the house. Unfortunately, one part of the roof slopes towards the house, and I see wet areas on the side wall. Is it possible to redirect the water with something as simple as a rain diverter? Or do I have to really get this fixed at the structure level? I could really use some advice. Thanks.

Edit 1: Thanks for the replies all. I will add more photos when possible. I had a roof inspection, checked the builder permits, and have a builders warranty. I don't think I'll have to pay 100% for a full fix, but the time in getting that all through worries me. I don't want to let this problem last as we are heading into wetter months.

Attached Images  

Last edited by whatdahey; 08-30-18 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Add additional information
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-18, 08:57 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 294 Votes on 261 Posts
Welcome to the forums!
I suspect it's a flashing issue. Need a pic from above.

Old 08-30-18, 09:23 AM
H
Received 88 Votes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by whatdahey
one part of the roof slopes towards the house, and I see wet areas on the side wall.
Yikes, looks like water is not just getting INTO the wall, looks like it's flowing along
A) the top of the addition wall.
B) the junction between the old wall and the addition
C) a zig-zag settling crack between the top left window opening and the wall
D) the window opening.

First action would be a certified letter to the flipper asking whether they got permits and inspections?

Second action woudl be an inquiry to the muncipality to get a TRUE answer whether flipper got permits and inspections.

Old 08-30-18, 10:35 AM
Group Moderator
Received 641 Votes on 593 Posts
Can't tell anything from below... but I would guarantee that it needs a kick out flashing on top that goes behind the end of any wall flashing .

of course maybe he didn't use any wall flashing. What kind of roofing is on it?

Old 08-30-18, 05:07 PM
Received 349 Votes on 325 Posts
well from the picture I see a downspout which looks like its attached to a gutter that abuts the wall, is the gutter leaking where it dead ends at the wall?

Old 08-30-18, 06:08 PM
W
Update with Top of Roof

I don't really know what I'm looking for, but it looks like a wood boarder, and some metal flashing is visible underneath. I just bought a humidity measurement tool, and the highest I read on the "wall" setting is 64%. It'll definitely be a problem when real rain comes in.

Attached Images  
Old 08-30-18, 06:11 PM
W
Originally Posted by Marq1 View Post
well from the picture I see a downspout which looks like its attached to a gutter that abuts the wall, is the gutter leaking where it dead ends at the wall?
The gutters were poorly installed throughout the house, but part of the wall in the top left corner in the photo is also wet. That part (hard to tell in the photo) is much higher up the wall, so I'm thinking it can't just be a gutter problem.

Old 08-31-18, 08:01 AM
S
@whatdahey, welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of home ownership.

Please keep in mind that I'm "just a guy". I'm not a pro, but I've needed to repair roof-line to sidewall problems in my own home. One big difference between your situation and mine is that I had shake shingle siding (now plank), whereas yours is stucco. With that in mind, you might want to look at this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJWi44w71_o

I'd be curious to see another picture or two from above--like the one you most recently posted, but pan back a bit more so we can see the slope.

Like @XSleeper noted, at a minimum, you need kick-out flashing. But, judging by the leaks that are evident along the wall (not just below the gutter), you have water intrusion along much of that wall.

My recommendation would be to get three different, recommended, roofing and stucco contractors to give you an assessment/estimate. At the very least, you'll learn more about what you're up against.

Good luck.

Old 08-31-18, 09:17 AM
H

Eh, I hope it's a trick of light or persepective, but it looks like the roof and shingles are barely sloped, and are lapped towards the wall, instead sloping from the ridgeline to the gutter, and overlapping down hill.

So, my guess is, the flipper added a barely sloping roof extension that is too flat for rain to drain.
That means the shingles don't have the slope to work correctly. Probably needs to be replaced with a membrane roof.

Old 08-31-18, 10:35 AM
Group Moderator
It looks like it was flashed and shingled California style. Meaning as long as it's not raining it won't leak.

you need a roofer to come out to tear off and reshingle that area. Step flashing covered by counterflashing will be the best. But you will know better what it needs once the shingles are torn off. Probably could use ice and water shield. I bet they just put a wall flashing on the entire thing and shingled over it.

Old 08-31-18, 03:01 PM
H
Originally Posted by XSleeper

It looks like it was flashed and shingled California style
To translate, that means it's possible that it's 2x4s, oriented-strandboard, one layer of tarpaper,
and then shingles nailed in, which perforate the tarpaper, and let water leak in.

Old 08-31-18, 03:30 PM
Group Moderator
Not only that.

People in arid areas do things you would/should never do in places where it rains and/or snows a lot.

Wall flashings that are 4" wide as the only wall /shingle flashing on top of the felt paper.... shingles on top of that.... no matter how long the roof run is. Water gets under the shingles and fans out under the shingles and runs off the flashing within the first 4 feet. (No step flashing) It eventually runs back under the flashing and off the end of the felt paper.

If the edge of the shingles are caulked, it's guarantees that an idiot shingled it. (No disrespect intended, but caulk isn't used to flash shingles.)

I suspect that's what they did.

Old 08-31-18, 04:36 PM
W
Thanks everyone. I'm getting a few quotes and assessments from local roofing contractors. The flipper cut a lot of corners, I'm considering replacing the whole roof.