Prevent water from getting to foundation.

Old 10-05-18, 08:08 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Prevent water from getting to foundation.

Iím having an issue with water coming into my below grade garage and finished basement. Water comes through the foundation walls in several locations.

Adding interior French drains isnít really an option due to high cost and having to demo finished walls.

Exterior footing drains and waterproofing is also too expensive.

The exterior soil is graded poorly and water flows towards the foundation where the problem areas are. I am planning on bringing in more soil to grade the yard so that water flows away from the house, but I donít know if that will solve my problem, but Iím afraid that wonít fix the problem.

Can anyone suggest some ways keep water from getting to the foundation? Perhaps some sort of retaining wall / planter bed next to the foundation along with an exterior French drain near the surface that will carry the water far enough away from the house that it doesnít cause problems?

Im looking for a solution that I can do myself.

Old 10-06-18, 03:12 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 403 Votes on 359 Posts
Excavating, waterproof in the foundation and installing a drain at the footer is the most effective solution. Anything you can do to direct the water away from the foundation will help some. Instead of adding more dirt against the foundation I'd consider digging a swale/ditch to prevent the run off from reaching the house. Also make sure the downspouts are piped away from the house.

Old 10-06-18, 03:57 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 894 Votes on 824 Posts
I agree. Excavating around the foundation. Damp proofing the basement walls and installing a drain system is the most reliable way to solve the problem. Addressing your drainage issues will help but might not solve the problem. If you get a lot of rain the water table around your basement still can rise and cause leaks.

Old 10-06-18, 05:34 AM
Received 494 Votes on 458 Posts
I am planning on bringing in more soil to grade the yard so that water flows away from the house,

So this is a step by step solution, dont immediately go to the most difficult and final step.

You have clearly stated that the grade is bad and have identified that you are going to fix.

Complete that first step then see what the results are.

Another "simple" step, get all the water from the downspouts away from the house.

Do those and let us know the results!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: