Roofing, siding, support piers on vacation trailer

Old 10-21-18, 08:11 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Roofing, siding, support piers on vacation trailer

Looking to purchase a vacation trailer in upstate NY for hiking , fishing, relaxing. It appears to be in good condition. I wa s told to beware that they are known to have leaky roofs.

I’m wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what I should check as far as roof, siding and the support piers it’s mounted on. It’s about 22 years old. I’m intending to have a local contractor go back and inspect it with me, he is a very busy guy with a good reputation. Any advice appreciated.

Last edited by grandspan; 10-21-18 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Did not finish original post.
Old 10-21-18, 09:49 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
Is this a mobile home or a travel trailer?
Check the ceiling and walls for water stains.
pics would be nice

Old 10-21-18, 11:54 AM
G
It's a mobile home, single wide. Inside is clean, no water stains, no mold, no musty moldy odors.

I've looked at others that had the musty odor as soon as you walked inside. It's permanently mounted on wood piers that are over concrete piers that are over four feet deep into the ground.
Good water supply from recently replaced pump. 100 Amp electric service for two bedrooms, small kitchen area, one bath.

I might just be overly cautious, but I don't want to miss anything. Was just thinking that others might have some suggestions of checks I might not have thought of. Thanks for the reply.

Old 10-22-18, 03:11 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
I'm not familiar with MHs with wood piers. Here in the southeast a MH typically sets on concrete blocks with wood shims if needed. Most of the older ones don't have footers but a lot of jurisdictions now require them.

MHs generally have particle board floors which is highly susceptible to water damage. The main places that are affected is along the exterior walls and near plumbing.

Old 10-22-18, 04:17 PM
G
I have seen several mounted on concrete blocks and others like this unit, with wood piers on top of 4 foot deep concrete.
Thanks for the info.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: