Installing flashing between roofs for a roof replacement

Old 10-24-18, 08:00 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing flashing between roofs for a roof replacement

I have begun the roof replacement for our back lanai.
It has a Suntuf plastic panel roof on it now.
I am replacing that with the same type of roofing, correcting a few errors made in its installation and making a few improvements.
I'm prepping the first half of the project, and am ready to go to town for the materials I don't already have on site.
I've removed the structural components that will need to be replaced due to rot setting in.
The structural damage is much less than I thought it would be.
All the rafters and beams are still good.

I see one problem I'm not too sure what will be the best way to deal with, the flashing between the house's metal roof edge and the Suntuf carbonate panels over the lanai.
A portion of the flashing was blown out during some high winds a few months ago.
The flashing I just removed could only be removed by grasping it with some vise grips and forcibly yanking it out a portion at a time.
I'm concerned about getting the new flashing placed back under the upper metal roofing without destroying it.

I have picked up an aluminum flashing to replace the existing steel flashing with, to reduce corrosion potential.
It is softer and more easily damaged if it meets a lot of resistance while installing it under the metal roof.
I'm hesitant to do the only thing I can see to deal with it, loosen the bottom row of nails in the metal roof panels to allow the flashing to be more easily stuffed under it.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-18, 12:01 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Got it figured out.
Aluminum flashing was too soft to be able to get it inserted under the house roof, no steel flashing available in town, had to order some through Amazon.

The edge of the flashing kept hanging up on the top edge of the roof's 2X6 fascia.
Had a helper push up lightly from underneath with a board wherever it hung up allowing me to tap it into place with a rubber mallet and a short piece of 2X4.
Flashing is now in place.

I have more advice to ask for.
I'll put it into a separate posting in this thread later.