Need Gutter Configuration HELP!

Old 11-08-18, 08:49 PM
Need Gutter Configuration HELP!

Hi:
I am trying to help my daughter with a gutter problem which is resulting in water getting in her basement. The problem is the upper gutter pipe and how it runs into the first floor gutter (pic 1). When water runs down the upper gutter pipe during heavy rains, it splashes and hits the house. The mortar where the water hits the house has worn away.

How should the gutter be configured to avoid this problem going forward? How do we repair the mortar that has worn away?

We MacGyvered a temporary fix with a flexible drain pipe (pic 2). Any suggestions are appreciated. Thank you.

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-18, 09:14 PM
Group Moderator
Hard to say what your options are without seeing the entire house. Gutters should usually have downspouts on both ends if possible, and that would cut the amount of water there in half. Also it would be quite easy to extend that upper downspout with a short extension and an elbow on the end so that water is deposited directly into the gutter... not shot at a deflector. Plus, looks likebyou have 2x3 downspouts... changing to 3x4 downspouts and outlets will move almost twice volume of water.

Grind the affected mortar out and repoint it with mortar mix. Make sure the back of the gutter is tucked behind your metal drip edge. If it isnt, add flashing so it is.

Old 11-08-18, 09:38 PM
Xsleeper:
Thanks for your quick reply. Here is a pic of the whole back of the house. Looks like there is only 1 gutter pipe from the top. So you think that I should get an elbow that will pour into the first floor gutter along with bigger drain pipes from the second floor AND first floor?
Full disclosure: My husband thought it was kinda nuts the way I hooked it up with the long plastic pipe on pic 2.

Thank you!

Attached Images  
Old 11-08-18, 10:51 PM
Group Moderator
That's a big dormer. It could definitely benefit with a second downspout.
I also agree with adding a short stub on and directing them directly into the lower gutters.

Old 11-09-18, 08:38 AM
Thank for the reply. I will modify based on your suggestions. It's supposed to rain in CT pretty good this evening so I best get crackin!