Low-E Deck coatings?

Old 05-22-01, 03:10 PM
Dino
Visiting Guest
Thumbs down

I am in the midst of a home addtion/remodel and have come accross some new Low-E Radiant Barriers that are applied to the underside of the deck. The claim to block more than 50% of the sun's radiant from entering the attic space. The one I'm looking at is called "Radiance" It is brushed or sprayed on to the underside of the deck. It's expensive, but I'm willing to give it a try...especially since everything is exposed right noe anyway. Here's my question, Does anyone know if this type of product would have any negative impact on the longevity of my composition shingle roof and void the warranty (for whatever thats really worth) in any way? The people at Radiance say it has no impact. Of course,the roofing manufacturer has never heard of Low-E coatings.

As an additional note, I see that the State of California has made an "emergency adoption" mandating Low-E coatings in the Energy Code effective next month.

Old 05-24-01, 03:22 PM
Dino
Visiting Guest
Wink I got an answer!

Elk is giving me an approval letter for the use of this low-E product in combination with their composition shingle roof. For what it's worth, besides offering a top-notch product, they have a very knowledgeable, competent, helpful and friendly technical department.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: