Storm door for roof deck storage area?

Old 01-14-19, 12:46 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Storm door for roof deck storage area?

My roof deck has a storage closet with an inswing door. It's pretty exposed to the elements when the wind blows from certain directions. The door has been leaking, evident from trickles of water that can be seen below it inside the closet, and water stains on the bedroom ceiling below. The framing around it is obviously rotted and the drainage system is questionable. A contractor has recommended replacing the whole thing, and including a storm door for more protection. I agree with replacing the door.
The storm door recommendation is odd to me - most storm doors have a glass window and/or screen that allows ventilation and light to come through, but we don't
  1. does it make any sense to install a storm door on a storage closet where we have no need for light, ventilation or additional security?
  2. does anyone know of storm doors that are a solid panel with no window?
Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-19, 05:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,116 Votes on 1,036 Posts
Is this storage closet surface mounted off the wall or does it penetrate into the house ?
A picture or two can be very helpful...... How-to-insert-pictures

From what you are describing I can't see the need to use a storm door. That would look out of place.

Old 01-18-19, 09:09 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Good question. See the attached jpg. The door with the arrow is the exit from the house to the roof deck. The storage closet is located under the sloping section of roof to the left of the arrow. It is not heated but the exterior wall of the closet needs to serve as part of the home's envelope, if you will.

This roof deck is very exposed. There are no buildings to slow the wind on this side of the complex and a very big river right on the other side of the road. The contractor now has me fairly convinced that, although it is weird to put a storm door with a half window on a storage closet, it is a good preventive measure. We will likely have him do the trim and jambs in cellular pvc.

Attached Images  
Old 01-18-19, 10:55 AM
B
Received 88 Votes on 77 Posts
A storm door is not waterproof. While the door jamb may be made waterproof (requires good caulking) it won't last forever and eventually will leak. Is the base of the inner wall under the sloped roof waterproof? I see other places where water entry may be occurring. Is the roof closet's outer wall(between buildings) under the sloped roof waterproof? Is there a break in the roof between adjacent buildings (appears to be covered by something white in the picture)? Does the floor of the roof closet have drainage? Sorry for all the questions but I can't see what you can and don't want to offer bum advice or suggestions.

Old 01-18-19, 12:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 675 Votes on 624 Posts
If you want a door that is really waterproof and that is insulated, get an insulated outswinging exterior prehung door.

Old 01-18-19, 01:49 PM
Received 230 Votes on 205 Posts
I have to agree with X. an exterior prehung door is the proper way to solve your problem.