Flashing tape?

Old 02-12-19, 12:21 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Flashing tape?

Hi. As some of you know I recently put up a new fascia board and a gutter in my home. I attached the old aluminum flashing (which comes half way up the fascia) to the new fascia with nails and caulked the slightly un-flush seam. So today it is raining and I am noticing water dripping from the bottom of the fascia out of the flashing. Apparently the caulk did not hold in some places, or simply I did a crappy job caulking. I know what the problem is, but I am thinking that it may be better to use some sort of flashing tape for this application rather than caulk. What do you think, and what type or brand of tape should I use? I am not looking forward to taking the gutter back down and rehanging. Is it ok to place the screws for the hangers in the same holes or drill new ones? I don't have a pic because this is all behind my gutter, but here is a simple drawing. And no, I do not have a drip edge yet, I am going to have the roofers install them when i get my new roof after all this madness is finished.

Name:  fascia.JPG
Views: 72
Size:  23.8 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 02-12-19 at 04:26 PM. Reason: extracted image from photobucket
Old 02-12-19, 12:39 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Photobucket does not allow remote linking.

How to Insert pictures

Old 02-12-19, 12:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 939 Votes on 857 Posts
Well first, I would get the right size fascia cover so that the fascia is totally covered. It comes in 4", 6" and 8" sizes if you are using the premade fascia cover.

And I don't think I would caulk or tape anything. Gutter apron is the correct flashing to use on the roof and you could surely get a few pieces and shove it up under the shingles tempirarily.

Old 02-12-19, 01:18 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Thanks. I don't know why they didn't put the right size flashing on. Probably the same reason they didn't add a drip guard. Sounds like a good way to solve the issue. I bought some drip guard strips and I had trouble slipping it underneath at the correct angle. Plus I have two layers of ancient shingles and they would break off. It's better for the roofer to do it and save myself the headache.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: