Roof tile nail popping

Old 03-16-19, 07:01 PM
Roof tile nail popping

Hi,

I am new to roof repair and would like to some advice. I noticed there is a roof tile that has popped out. I am attaching pics.

I was wondering if I can simply get a roof nail and pop in the roof tile. Would that work? Also, can you let me know what size of nail I should buy? It looks like it is a tile made of concrete and I am not sure what size would work best.

Thanks for reading and appreciate your advice..
Tony

Name:  IMG_1262.JPG
Views: 43
Size:  126.6 KB

Name:  IMG_1263.JPG
Views: 40
Size:  99.6 KB

Name:  IMG_1264.JPG
Views: 39
Size:  85.6 KB

Name:  r3.JPG
Views: 35
Size:  81.6 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 03-16-19 at 07:10 PM. Reason: added 4th enlarged picture
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-19, 07:11 PM
Group Moderator
You will want a 2" hot dipped galvanized roofing nail. Be sure the nail doesnt go back in the same hole in the wood.

Old 03-16-19, 07:13 PM
Group Moderator
It looks like a roofing nail was used and it's not long enough.
It looks like some of the ones above it are coming out too.

I'd think I'd like to use a screw instead of a nail. Possible a stainless steel Deckmate screw.
If those are ceramic/cement then the device size must be considered carefully so they don't crack.

Old 03-16-19, 07:16 PM
Group Moderator
Screws are fine but most will have heads that go right through. You would need a 2" truss head lag that is exterior rated.

Like this: GRK RSS #10 x 2"

Last edited by XSleeper; 03-16-19 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Add info
Old 03-16-19, 07:47 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. I went to home depot and they told me to use 5 inch roofing nail. Do you think longer nail is better since there is little bit of distance between the tiles and wood?

Old 03-16-19, 07:53 PM
Group Moderator
That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. But not surprising considering the source. If you want the nail to poke out the back so you can clinch it, you might use a 3" nail.

Old 03-16-19, 08:30 PM
Group Moderator
I second that..... geez.... 5" nails.

Just looking at the pictures again.... it looks like the hole that was used to secure them is covered by the previous one. Going to be tough to refasten now.

Old 03-16-19, 08:53 PM
Thank you. Home Depot has given me advice before that did not help so that is why I am here. I will try the 2 inch nail or screw.

I understand it is going to be tough to refasten since they are all overlapping each other. There are two holes in each tile and the right hole is covered by the previous tile. Ugh, this is confusing the more I think about it.

I am almost thinking about taking all the tiles out and putting it back in but that might not be necessary. Most of them seem ok except for 2 or 3 tiles, but I am not sure what is the best way to refasten since the right hole is covered by the previous tile.

Any ideas?

Old 03-16-19, 08:55 PM
Group Moderator
Each tile has 2 holes... If there is one tile that you can only get 1 nail in, it's not the end of the world. As long as the one covering it from above is tight, it can't go anywhere.

Old 03-17-19, 12:55 PM
Thank you. I had a crappy day.

I was trying to put a nail in one of the tile and the previous tile fell down to the ground and broke. Now I have a bigger problem. I have to get a new tile and put it back in. I called Home Depot and they don't have the ceramic tile.

Does anyone have idea where I can get a new tile and can I get it in the same size? The measurement for the tile is 17 inch length by 6.5 inch height and 6.5 inch width.