2 Bay windows - 2 leaks after 14 months - opinion

Old 04-22-19, 05:45 AM
2 Bay windows - 2 leaks after 14 months - opinion

I had a Bay window installed about 4 years ago and at about the 15 month mark I noticed the Bay Window was leaking. I called the installers and it was replaced at no charge because it was under warranty. It is now about 15 - 16 months since the replacement bay windows was installed and the new window is leaking now, in the same exact place as the other window they replaced (pics attached). I'm thinking even if they replace the window again at no charge I don't want the same window if they're going to keep leaking. It got me thinking what are the chances I get 2 defective windows? Is it more likely both windows were defective or the installation is the issue?

The pics attached show the leak. It's doing this around the entire bottom of the bay window. I'm going to call the windows installer today but I thought I would check here for opinions 1st. Seems VERY odd that it's leaking in the exact same manner as the old window was.

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-19, 06:26 AM
Group Moderator
Need outside pics since this is likely installation related.

Old 04-22-19, 07:40 AM
This morning, after I posted I went out and put a tarp over the roof, took a garden hose and sprayed the window directly, basically nothing above the tarp got wet, maybe some splashing but no soaking. After about 10 minutes the window started leaking. I did it again about 2 hours later and REALLY soaked the sides of the window and it started leaking. Whatever is happening it must be happening from the tarp down. I took a few pics. I'll post what I can. Last time this happened they told me the leak was probably coming from the bottom of the window, you can see in one of the pics where it takes an angle and it looks like a small space within the caulking.... which if this is it. That's how it came from the factory.

Attached Images     
Old 04-22-19, 11:00 AM
Group Moderator
Vinyl windows generally have weep holes on the outside. I don't see any on yours.

Old 04-22-19, 11:15 AM
OK, I'm calling the window place today, I'll ask about that. The odd part is, I'm looking over my records and both windows started to leak right around the 15 month mark.

Old 04-22-19, 02:46 PM
Group Moderator
If the weep holes are plugged or there just arent any maybe that's how long the frame takes to fill up with water. My guess is that they trimmed over them.

Old 04-23-19, 06:05 AM
I found the weep holes on the 2 side windows and they're not clogged.

Old 04-23-19, 06:22 AM
Group Moderator
Verify if the holes you see just drain the water that is on top of the sill (behind the screen). The frame under the sill is hollow. (In one of your interior pictures there is a white 3/8" plug through the frame there.) Open up your side windows and look for water under the bottom sash.

Old 04-24-19, 12:53 PM
No water. I think it's some kind of a seal that's broken on the outside. The folks who installed it said another customer has the same issue as me. If I wet the window directly with a hose, it leaks. I'm spraying it from the top of the window down and it leaks. I'm going to spay one side at a time to try to isolate and then try to do some caulking as a band aid. It's got to be the window, not the installation. I'm going to fight with the manufacturer to get money back so I can get a window from a different manufacturer. If they don't refund some money then I'll go to the BBB and see what they can do. It's not acceptable to have 2 windows leaking in a 4 year period.

Old 04-24-19, 01:02 PM
Group Moderator
Put some duct tape over that seam below the window (temporarily) then spray it again. Just the bottom .

Old 04-29-19, 03:26 PM
Yup! Duct tape has solved the issue. I had to seal up a few spots but once I hit all the gaps in the seal the water stopped. The top of the bay window also has a seal that I taped over and the water has stopped. Obviously the window.

Old 04-29-19, 03:48 PM
Group Moderator
The cap they put around the top and bottom of the windows goes into a small groove that is about 1/8" wide and 1/8" deep that is part of the window perimeter. The mull caps also snap into this same groove on the window sides and between windows.

Apparently they do a real crappy job of sealing that joint up in their factory (and know it, or they wouldn't have been so quick to replace the window last time) When the bottom one leaks, water will run right under the windows since they sit on top of the plywood seat. Probably has something to do with the fact that most sealants don't work very well in small gaps like that. If they were smart they would switch to using a better sealant in those gaps... something like Firestone lap sealant HS in white... it stays sticky and never really dries out.

So you "could" smear a bead of new sealant over those seams if you wanted to, it should stop the leak but it won't look real hot. I would recommend OSI Quad (001 white).

Take that duct tape off ASAP before it leaves sticky residue on the window, and if it has already, just use some paint thinner to clean the vinyl off.

Old 04-30-19, 05:46 AM
Too late, there's already residue from the tape. Unfortunately we're in the middle of constant rain (over a week now) so the duct tape needs to stay so the water doesn't get in. As soon as the rain stops, I'll seal it. The folks who installed the window said they have another customer with the same exact issue so it's certainly a quality issue.

Thanks for the recommendation on the sealant. That was going to be my next question. Hopefully the sealant hold up. In the meantime I'll be fighting with the manufacturer to get my money back. I'm not interested in another replacement.

Old 05-17-19, 12:59 PM
Just to circle back, I ended up using sealant to reseal all the gaps and the water leaks have stopped. Now I'm fighting with the company to get a replacement. It's been non stop rain here and things are holding up. I used masking tape to try to keep it looking good and it didn't come out too bad. We'll see if it holds up while I fight with the window company. Thanks for the help.

Attached Images