Gravel or loam next to foundation?

Old 04-26-19, 09:07 AM
Received 4 Votes on 2 Posts
Gravel or loam next to foundation?

Getting mixed opinions on this. I need to build up the slope next to my foundation around the house. This ranges from 4" to 12" around the perimeter. I get some that say it should be gravel so water will permeate down into the soil below, yet I think that loam/topsoil would be best to divert the water away from the foundation and help prevent basement water infiltration. I also understand that I need to leave a barrier between the siding and slope. This is a 50 yr old house, so I'm sure it's not the best foundation drainage. Keep in mind I live in Maine, so freezing is also a concern.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-19, 09:41 AM
Received 126 Votes on 117 Posts
You want to slope ground away from hose to get the water away from foundation, filling with gravel will defeat the entire process to keep water away from foundation!

Old 04-26-19, 10:17 AM
Group Moderator
Received 267 Votes on 242 Posts
Clean gravel is used below grade to intercept water flowing through the ground and direct it to your foundation's perimeter drain. At the surface you want dirt sloped away from the house so water does NOT soak in but rather runs away from the house.

Old 04-26-19, 11:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Votes on 127 Posts
As noted gravel is used over the foundation drain but once you get above that it serves no real purpose.

Old 04-26-19, 01:30 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you have the room to create the slope to direct water away from the foundation, that's great.
In my case, I don't have room to create a better slope away from the house. My septic tank is buried pretty shallow.
I did use stone over landscape cloth against the house because the bottom course of siding is very close to grade. I don't want dirt splashing up on the siding and I don't want vegetation touching the siding.
I have very sandy soil, so, for me, putting stone around the house did not negatively affect the dampness of my basement.