Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Roofing, Gutters and All Waterproofing Anywhere
Reload this Page >

roofer cut off stack roof vent for sewage & built new rafters over top?

Old 04-28-19, 03:35 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Would it be costly to vent stack through a wall? My county code states it must go through the roof. The contractor turned out to be a scammer, I don't trust him to do a proper replacement. The photo shows the stack on the right side image, taken by insurance carrier drone, I had the roofer build rafters to eliminate the flat roof, he cut the stack off without telling me & thought I wouldn't notice. Then built the new rafters over top. A 26ga steel roof is now on top of this. This is going to the attorney general which can take years; but in the mean time, I'm looking for answers. Any thoughts?

Attached Images  
Old 04-28-19, 04:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,924 Upvotes on 1,728 Posts
All you need to do is drill a hole in the new, higher roof and extend the vent line through the roof again. There are specific types of roof vent boots for metal roofing. And I doubt he "cut the vent off", the roof is simply higher than it formerly was and it is currently covered up. It is stupid that he did not extend it or at least mark its location at the time the work was being done... especially if there is no way to access this area in an attic.

This is not the big deal you are making it out to be. And you need to let him do it if it was part of the contract. If it wasn't part of the contract (hard to imagine it wouldn't be) then someone in the plumbing trade would need to be contacted to extend the pipe through the roof and then you would still likely need a roofer to add the flashing on top of the roof if the plumber won't do it. If you are acting as the general contractor, and this work was not specifically in the roofers contract, then contacting and hiring the plumber is up to you. This would ordinarily be coordinated between 2 trades by the GC.

Even if the metal roof has been installed, it is not usually a problem to come back later and remove one panel to access the roof underneath it, if need be.

https://images.app.goo.gl/GqPwW7QXDZ1AgsuJ8

Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 04-28-19, 05:04 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
He could cut a hole anywhere & drop a pipe in & who would know the difference. The roof now leaks around the chimney & the new gutter has a dip in the middle & not at the drain. I don't trust him to do a proper repair.

Last edited by XSleeper; 04-28-19 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Removed sarcastic comments
Old 05-03-19, 09:33 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
I'd get a new (hopefully reputable) roofer in and have them cut a hole in the metal roof and correctly boot/flash around a new pipe.

If you have access to the attic, you can probably add a new PVC pipe to the end of the old pipe using a no-hub coupling. The plumbing part is easy - getting the pipe flashed correctly is of course the harder part - but easy for someone who knows what they are doing.

I can't imagine it costing more than a few hundred $$ for a roofer to do it.

Old 05-03-19, 10:09 AM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
The contractor turned out to be a scammer

You could have avoided all the problems by hiring a reputable local roofer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: