missing shingle granules

Old 06-14-19, 08:06 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
missing shingle granules

Hello,Please look at the shingle with four streaks of missing granules, circled in white. Do you suggest doing anything, like applying some roof cement on the affected areas? Or better to just leave it alone? Any idea what might have happened? An animal clawing, maybe?

Thank you!

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-19, 08:48 AM
Group Moderator
Received 141 Votes on 134 Posts
It looks like the shingle was damaged during manufacture or transportation. It looks like the installers used it in a location where they could cut off the rest of the damage and used it in a location not easily visible. Up against the house and under the overhang it's protected somewhat from the weather and should, hopefully wear less than the more exposed shingles. Do you have any extra shingles?

You can: 1. Put some roofing cement (tar) over the bare areas to offer a bit more protection. 2. Just leave it and keep an eye on it. 3. Remove and replace the damaged shingle.

Old 06-14-19, 08:52 AM
Received 41 Votes on 41 Posts
Picture doesn't show much. But I know what you're talking about. To me it looks like the roofers made a slight mistake on pattern matching and fixed it with shingles on hand. For granules to fall away from shingles is normal. After a heavy rain check you gutters and you'll see lots of it in them. When the roof gets old you'll see shingles begin to curl and lots of the roofing shingles will be almost bare. Then it's time to consider a new roof.

Old 06-14-19, 09:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 70 Posts
It also looks to me like a damage shingled was used when it would have been nicer for them to toss it out. IMO it isn't anything to worry about, at least not any time soon.

Old 06-14-19, 09:55 AM
Group Moderator
Received 137 Votes on 129 Posts
Part of the laminated layer came off... may have been made that way, or may have peeled off when it was cut. Either way it is not a leak issue at ALL.

Old 06-18-19, 06:24 AM
If anyone is interested, attached is a new picture if it helps.

Thank you!

Attached Images  
Old 06-18-19, 08:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 70 Posts
I agree with X, that shingle is missing the top layer [what makes it an architectural shingle] Shouldn't pose any issues other than not looking as nice as the rest.

Old 06-19-19, 06:29 AM
Hi everyone, thank you for thoughts! After reading all the posts, I get the feeling that a functional problem does not exist. I think I am going with Pilot Dane's option 2: Just leave it and keep an eye on it.