Water in chimney

Old 07-04-19, 02:15 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water in chimney

I heard water dripping noise from inside chimney. After a couple of minutes, water dripped out from the top of the chimney glass doors. It was not a heavy rain, just a short summer thunder storm lasting about 20 minutes. Any suggestion about what is wrong? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-19, 02:21 PM
A
Received 67 Votes on 61 Posts
Sounds like a bad cap and/or crown. Or could be bad bricks and/or mortar or flashing, but those would be more likely to take some time for water to work its' way down. Are you comfortable in going up there and posing some pictures of what you have?

mmctem voted this post useful.
Old 07-04-19, 02:42 PM
M
Thanks for the suggestion, but going up there is really challenging for me. Three years ago, there was leakage into bedroom floor near the chimney. A roof company came and checked, but didn't find anything wrong. They just caulked the roof and the chimney, and no leak spotted after that. Can this time be the same problem? why didn't we notice dripping water in the chimney itself last time? Thanks.

Old 07-04-19, 03:40 PM
A
Could be the same problem, could be different, but water is unpredictable in pretty much any situation so it's hard to say. Understand not wanting to go up there, no problem, so as next best, do you think you could at least zoom in it, whether from the ground, on a ladder, from a neighbors second story, or whatever? How comfortable were you with the roofing company you had look at it? Nobody's an expert at everything, but do you think they were looking at the total picture, or were they focused on the shingles and flashing?

Old 07-04-19, 06:11 PM
M
Good idea. I tried to use my camera, but can't zoom in so much to get a clear view of the chimney. I will try it later. As for the roofing company, I think they were honesty and did try hard to find out the problem. That gentlemen spent a couple of ours checking the roof, chimney, and also the attic of the house. He took quite a few picture, but didn't find the origin of the leakage. The good thing is that nowhere else showed the sign of leakage or mold.

Old 07-04-19, 06:29 PM
A
Yeah, if you get a chance, post a picture or two and we can at least see if there is anything obvious. Even a proper crown for example, concrete, sloped away from the flue, overhanging the bricks, etc. could have cracks, so without someone actually being up there it's still most likely a guess. But doesn't mean that something in a picture wouldn't stand out to someone. Have you looked at the sheathing around it from the attic? Any signs of water intrusion there? Oh yeah, and I assume this showed up during that 20 minute rain, not well after it was done? If it's pretty immediate I would be thinking cap, then crown, and probably not as much about shingles and flashings. But that's me, and maybe some others here have some different thoughts.

Old 07-04-19, 07:05 PM
H
Received 104 Votes on 92 Posts
Find somebody who has access to a drone to get chimney photos.

The combination of a torrential downpour AND high wind can push water sideways along the roof until water builds up and flows into the ridge vents or gets under shingles.
These sorts of "storm leaks" are darn near impossible to trace, since the water is actually getting UNDER the shingles, and then runs down along the tarpaper until it finds a seam or a nail hole.

Old 07-19-19, 10:09 PM
M
Thanks. Tried to take some videos by placing a compact camera on a extension pole, but quality is quite poor. A drone may be a good choice. It rained a couple of times after that. Fortunately, leaking didn't happen again.