Advise on sky lights needed

Old 07-14-19, 11:34 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Advise on sky lights needed

I would like to install some skylights for a dark entry foyer. We have a very steeply pitched roof, and would need the “reflective tube” to bring the light through attic to the ceiling. My main concern is the exterior appearance on the roof. Would like them to be as unobtrusive as possible. The dome / bubble appearance not particularly appealing to me. Any advice on models, and any features / pitfalls to watch out for?

Thank you!!

Old 07-14-19, 12:10 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
In general I consider tube type skylights to be out of style. They seemed to have peaked in the late 90's and I think of them like phones mounted next to the toilet in the master bath. There is nothing wrong with it but it's not commonly done these days.

On the plus side they can bring natural light into an interior space when the sun is shining.

Negatives are the dome on your roof which can be unsightly. Those domes are plastic and I've seen some hold up better than others but it's still thin plastic in the sun so I consider it to have a finite lifespan. You also need to weigh the benefit of interior light against putting a hole in your roof. And, another drawback is their energy efficiency. They are an energy waster as that long duct passes through the hot/cold attic and the tube air is only separated from the home by the lens in the ceiling.

I would consider installing a recessed LED light or just a lamp instead. Modern LED's are very energy efficient so you could put a lot of light in that foyer without much energy cost. This light would be available any time you want, even on cloudy days and at night. Or, consider replacing your entry door. If your current door is solid you could go with one with some glass.

Old 07-14-19, 12:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
What's wrong with a traditional skylight with a shaft?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: