Gutters to two downspouts

Old 07-20-19, 08:34 PM
Gutters to two downspouts

Hi everyone: My wife and I just bought our first home, and I'm planning to install some gutters in the next few days. The back of the house has a long stretch of about 45 feet, and I want to put two downspouts, one at each corner of the house. That means I'll have to have two different pitches, one going from the middle of the house to one corner and the other going from the middle to the other corner, making the gutters converge in a triangle-like fashion. My problem is this: I can't figure out what to do for the middle part, where the two gutters meet. I don't want water leaking through that middle part. But I can't find a connector for the two gutters meeting at an angle like that. What should I do?

Thank you,
Robert

Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-19, 08:54 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 131
Not really getting your description. But if the back side of the house is 45 feet long (in a straight line) you need to get a 45 ft long seamless aluminum gutter run by a professional and just put an outlet and downspout on each end. The ends of the gutter will be low and the middle of the gutter will be pushed up high.

Norm201 voted this post as helpful.
Old 07-20-19, 08:58 PM
I was planning to install regular sectioned gutters, not seamless.

Old 07-20-19, 09:09 PM
Group Moderator
Regardless, the middle is high the ends are low. The whole thing will just have a gentle curve, crowned in the middle.

Old 07-20-19, 09:12 PM
Yeah, that's right. But what should I use to connect the joint at the middle?

Old 07-20-19, 09:16 PM
Group Moderator
You overlap one piece onto the next. They also make a union piece (slip joint) if you prefer. I have no idea what you are imagining. If it's 45 feet long you could put three 16 ft pieces together then cut it to length.

Old 07-20-19, 09:27 PM
Oh I see. I was originally planning to have two 22.5 ft gutters and then connect them in the middle, but you're saying to just make one long 45ft gutter. If I go with the 45ft gutter and crown it in the middle, do you think the gutter will have enough "give" to slope in either direction. The reason I was planning to do two 25ft gutters was because I didn't think the gutter would bend or give in the middle at all.

Old 07-20-19, 09:31 PM
Group Moderator
I don't think you will find gutter in anything other than 10' or 20' sections... that's the longest we can get here. And yes it will bend. Your brackets will help, you will probably just need help to hang it.

Old 07-20-19, 09:33 PM
Yeah, I already bought 10' sections along with a few 3' sections. I was planning to construct two gutters, each 22.5 feet by cutting and using the sectionals. Each of the two gutters would go to a downspout. The gutters would meet in the middle of the house. I was asking what to use to connect the two gutters, since they'll be meeting on an angle. The union pieces I have don't seem to bend too easily.

Old 07-20-19, 09:52 PM
Group Moderator
Rule number one in construction is that you want to try to use the longest material available so as to avoid unnecessary joints. Joints leak. That's why I would suggest you use three 20' pieces. (Cut down to <16') Two joints... period. How many joints will your pieces create? Each one a leak waiting to happen.

And you aren't bending the unions. And there is no angle. Maybe there is, but it's microscopic. The gutter fits into the union and gets riveted (or screwed) together at whatever angle you choose. Generally you try to make it as straight as possible because you want the gutter to be fairly straight. But then you are simply mounting the gutter to the fascia in such a way that it drains to the ends. ​​​​

You seem to be envisioning that when you put this gutter together that it's going to be 2 pieces, both as straight as an arrow.... with a peak in the middle. It's not.

Old 07-21-19, 01:29 PM
Upvotes Received: 68
I was planning to install regular sectioned gutters, not seamless.

If you can avoid pieces of gutters do so, you will not regret!

Sections of gutter, well they look like krap, the have lots of joints the tend to leek and if I didn't mention, they look like krap.

45 is pretty long, I've hauled home 30' sections so I understand it's a going to be a challenge but find a way to get them one piece and be done with them!

Maybe have someone come to the house with a forming die and make them on site!