Soffit Removal

Old 08-20-19, 07:55 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Soffit Removal

Hello,

Can soffits be removed without disconnecting the gutter? It looks like I'll have to drop the gutters off, then remove the metal fascia which will allow the soffit to drop down. Does anyone know if this is the case? Is there any way I can just remove some of the screws to allow access or would I have to take the entire chunk of gutter/fascia piece off.

Attached a photo for your perusal.

Thanks all!

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-19, 08:14 AM
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
Depends on how they are installed.

Typ there is a channel on the wall that soffit fits into, then soffit is nailed to bottom of fascia board.

Then the outside of facia is covered with a "L" shaped piece of aluminum (hides the edge of soffit and nails).

But that is just typ there are many variations and you just have to get up there and do a little prying to see what you have.

Old 08-20-19, 08:17 AM
Group Moderator
Received 161 Votes on 152 Posts
You can either do it that way or if you want to save yourself some work, just cut the bottom lip of the fascia cover off. Score the face of the fascia cover as close to the bottom as you can, then bend the bottom lip of the fascia cover back and forth until it snaps off. Then you can get the soffit out.

When you are done working on the soffit you can just slip a new piece of fascia cover behind the gutter and over the old one to cover up your repair. You might need to loosen the gutter a little, but the new piece doesn't need to go up behind the gutter very far.

badeyeben voted this post useful.
Old 08-21-19, 09:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 255 Votes on 240 Posts
Just read your other thread. This could have been part of that.

I carefully bend the fascia trim down, check for nails and zip out one piece of soffit when I have to drill for cameras.

Old 08-22-19, 11:23 AM
Thanks Pete. I was afraid of bending the fascia trim down in the event that I could somehow warp it...

Old 08-22-19, 12:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 161 Votes on 152 Posts
If you bend the bottom hem of the aluminum fascia down it's going to be a little mangled and won't look good as new when you try to bend it back.

Old 08-22-19, 02:58 PM
Yeah thanks that's what I thought...

Old 08-22-19, 11:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 255 Votes on 240 Posts
I've installed upwards of 25 hose camera systems and have not had a problem bending that back to look like original. It does take a little care. It doesn't have to be bent fully open either. Typically the soffit has some front to back slide except if you catch a piece with a nail.