GAF "seal a ridge" shingles: where do you nail them?

Old 08-23-19, 10:15 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GAF "seal a ridge" shingles: where do you nail them?

on GAF seal a ridge shingles the instructions say to nail them 7 to 7 5/8 from exposed edge.

Thats the exact spot where the sealing strip is. Would you nail closer or farther from exposed edge?

gaf even posted a video specifically about these shingles. And in the video, thereís NO sealing strip!!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-19, 02:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 194 Votes on 180 Posts
I would nail 7 to 7 5/8 from the exposed edge if that's where they say to nail it. Seems pretty straight forward.

Old 08-23-19, 03:01 PM
Oh sorry. Forgot to mention the 7 to 7 5/8 is exactly where the sealing strip is. And the instructions say donít nail it to the ceiling strip. So not sure if I should be putting the nails in the strip or closer to the exposed edge or behind the glue strip

Old 08-23-19, 03:03 PM
Group Moderator
Yeah you did mention that. What don't you get? Why do you think it's wrong to nail where they TELL you to nail, even if it's in the tar strip?

Old 08-23-19, 04:07 PM
What I donít get is they give an area to nail in. And thatís in the tar strip. AND they tell you to NOT nail in the tar strip.

Old 08-23-19, 04:24 PM
Group Moderator
Looking at the link to their instructions, I see where it says not to nail in the sealant. I guess I can't be more specific than their very specific drawing. Sorry. Their instructions do suggest applying more sealant for even better wind resistance.

Personally I don't think it matters one way or the other, but just behind the tar might be the safest.

Old 08-28-19, 08:12 PM
Yes I was wondering the same since some videos show direct nailing into it an others dont.
-I did see on one GAF link --Fastener must NOT cover self seal -
On instructions-
Apply fasteners within shaded boxes. -(on pic it was below tar line)
​​​​​​​Fastener must NOT be exposed)IMPORTANT: Fastener must NOT cover Self-Seal

I'm replacing some GAF shingles soon too .
Also is it standard in the southeast to use 6 nail pattern on the basic 3 tab?

Last edited by trotter; 08-28-19 at 08:46 PM.
Old 08-30-19, 08:44 AM
Well my shed is done! I wound up putting the nails on the side away from the exposed area relative to the sealing strip. I'd love to know the inner workings of how they came up with all the numbers / placement / etc.

The overlap from shingle to shingle is not all that much - so if the nails were on the exposed side of the sealant, there's a chance I think that the nails would not be covered by the next shingle / letting water in. or again, even if they were covered, they are exposed to the rain working under the overlap and getting to the nails before hitting the sealing strip. Behind the sealing strip, there should be less water.

Wow! Knowing what I know now, I don't think I would have bothered reroofing the shed. it took a LONG time. Funny though - the 2nd side went much quicker than the first side as I got into a rhythm / learned. But 2nd side still took a fair amount of time.

And again, I'd love to know the math /.reasons for the amount of overlap, etc. These dimensional shingles have the nailing line not all that far from the edge of the overlap of the next shingle. Rushing at one point, the edge of some nail heads can be seen / are just barely exposed on the regular shingles if you look at it from the right angle (don't think water will get in there... but as I keot saying as I spent wayy too much time / double checked things - it's just a shed).

Thank you all for your help here and loads of other questions!