Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Roofing, Gutters and All Waterproofing Anywhere
Reload this Page >

Bumping out a Mono-sloped/Shed style roof on the rake edge

Old 08-28-19, 02:07 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hey all,

Im going to be reroofing a what was formerly a 1910s porch that was then enclosed by someone to make an addition. Its a mono slope roof that is the width of the entire house (gable end) so there are no eaves on the left and right, if that makes sense. I'd like to add some to keep water away because I feel like it's always helpful. I know this will look kind of weird, but it's functional

My question is, at the top of the roof that will extend out to form the eaves, how can I flash that? Im concerned about wind blown rain getting under shingles there and leaking. I thought about doing some L-shaped aluminum bedded in roofing cement and nailed to the fascia, but I couldnt figure out how to terminate it without it looking dumb and also leaking.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-19, 02:10 PM
Attached a very crude drawing done in MS paint, but I think you get the idea... Name:  Flashing.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  12.1 KB

Old 08-28-19, 02:55 PM
Received 87 Votes on 78 Posts
Are you replacing all the shingles?

Old 08-28-19, 03:59 PM
Yes, total re-roof with new sheathing as well, so I figure it's a good time to add soffit if I can. I'm actually using GAF's Liberty because I have a bunch left over from a different project. Free is a great price and I'm familiar with how to install it correctly.

Old 08-28-19, 04:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 184 Votes on 173 Posts
If you get a gutter apron trim and crease the angle so as to bend it over more, you can add that flashing over your last row of shingles to flash the ends on the top of the roof.

Old 08-29-19, 05:05 PM
Thanks! Apron trim seems to be pretty cheap too- cheaper than pre-bent L shaped aluminum

appreciate it