the black pipe mystery

Old 08-31-19, 04:11 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
the black pipe mystery

While I was cruising around my crawlspace, I noticed a strange black pipe (looks like landscaping corrugated pipe) exiting thru the front foundation wall of the house. It appears to be filled with gravel.

My house is situated on a hill. If you look from the front, the hill slopes from back to front, and also from left to right. The pipe in question is on the front-left hand side of the house.

I do have a sump pump, but it is located near the back of the house. It is also on the left hand side.

I believe I found the exit for the pipe about 15 ft in front of the house - down the hill, but I am not totally sure that they are connected.

Can anyone explain the purpose of this pipe? Does this type of drainage pipe have a name? Should i be concerned if I do see water escaping from the pipe during a storm? That would imply water is penetrating into the crawlspace. I do have a fairly elaborate drainage system on the left side of my house and all of the downspouts are connected to it.

Thanks so much for your help. Picture is attached!
Mike

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-19, 02:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 371 Votes on 348 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

If that was a pipe carrying water away from the area...... it would be much lower than that.
That looks to be set up to discharge water to that location.