Feedback Please: lawn drainage system/Duct tape?

Old 09-03-19, 11:55 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Feedback Please: lawn drainage system/Duct tape?

I walked by a neighbor's house today where a 4-inch drainage system is being laid in to handle the flooding in her back yard, At the street where the pop-up drain (UGH! hate 'em) is being installed, the crew is using DUCT TAPE to join the black corrugated pipe to the white PVC up elbow. I don't see how this can be acceptable on any professional level, but then, I've been wrong before. I called the contractor, and he says, "Well, ah bin doin' that way for 27 years and had no complaints." My takewaway from that is simply that he's doing it a 27-year-old way. Your thoughts, please.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-19, 01:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 298 Votes on 272 Posts
Let's see what's wrong with what you described:

Pop-up drain: I hate them as well. They cause sediment to build up and eventually clog the underground lines.

Black corrugated: Something else I hate. It's corrugations collect debris making it more prone to clogging and the flexibility mean many people get low spots when burying it.

Black corrugated to white PVC: No wonder they were using duct tape. Those two are not intended to be joined together. I don't know of any fitting to do it so I guess when it ain't supposed to... use duct tape.

Old 09-14-19, 06:57 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hey new here. So I'm getting ready to regrade my yard for better drainage and install downspout drains and french drains as well and if all goes well a short retaining wall.

I've been watching a lot of videos by french drain man and he seems to know what he's talking about. What they are doing sounds like she should demand they stop work and she finds someone new.

The black corrugated pipe is made from recycled restaurant containers therefore attracting animals to eat through them, they also fill with sediment easily like the above user mentioned.

And duct tape will probably break down in 10 years or so, if the drains are done properly they can last 50+ years.

I would be willing to bet she continues to have issue even after these guys "fix it" for her the sounds of it they're clueless.