Roof issue/repair

Old 09-14-19, 06:32 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Roof issue/repair

I posted on here a few days ago about an issue I am having with shingles curling up along the edge of my roof line. I understand from replies I got here that it isn't a serious issue and should not cause leaking, etc... What I would like to do is make it look better, like it is supposed to look. Like every other roof I have driven around and seen. I'd like the shingles to lay flat and drain into the gutter as they should. Since I need to have some aluminum flashing/capping redone below the gutter. Would removing the gutter and installing the drip edge properly ie. slanted down into the gutter instead of lifted up like it is solve the curling issue with the shingles? The roof is only a couple of months old. The roofer wants to come out and shove more shingles under where they are curled and level them out. This sounds like a very bad idea to me. If nothing else I will have someone else come in and remove the gutter and do this work. I am just trying to figure out if it "might" end up looking like it should. Thanks!

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-19, 07:22 AM
Received 25 Votes on 21 Posts
I'd want to know exactly why there sitting like that.
My first guess just by looking at the picture is someone set the fachia board to high when installing it.

Old 09-14-19, 07:43 AM
Group Moderator
Received 194 Votes on 180 Posts
The gutter guards are pushing the drip edge up, and they are the reason it looks that way. So removing the gutter guards "might" let the flashing back down. Lowering the whole thing would probably help but if the back of your gutter isn't behind the flashing, water will leak behind the back of the gutter. Gutters that are too low may not catch all the water coming off the roof.

Old 09-14-19, 03:50 PM
Received 28 Votes on 24 Posts
Roof sheathing normally extends beyond the fascia so the water running off the shingles and drip edge drops into the gutter forward of the back of the gutter. It appears the roof sheathing and or rafters have lost support. Did the roofer inform you of any problems needing correction before applying shingles? From the pic it appears the roof overhang is quite far from the load bearing wall. How far from the load bearing wall to the fascia board? Is that a short wall behind the gutter or just a wide fascia?

Old 09-14-19, 04:02 PM
The sheathing was replaced on a large part of the roof. I want to say it is 1x8 or 2x8 boards. The board all along the roof line was replaced. The fascia is pretty long behind the gutter 10 or 12 inches, and yes there is not really any overhang of the roof sheathing. It was like this before also but there was no issue with the shingles curling on the old roof. I believe what they should have done is to remove the gutter when they did the work and then put everything back properly. That is not what they did though. The gutter was never taken down. Now, the roof is like this. If it isn't going to be a problem with water or ice that is one thing (this is what the roofer is telling me), but I with all of the money I spent I want it to look good too. If I have to I will have a gutter guy come out and take the gutter down and fix things, but I feel that the roofer should do this. I get that they probably won't though.

Old 09-14-19, 04:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 194 Votes on 180 Posts
They likely used a longer drop edge flashing than what you had before. That's why it is kicked up farther... because it's sitting right on your gutter guards. The roof edge is simply following the pitch of the gutter.

Old 09-16-19, 12:34 PM
Received 28 Votes on 24 Posts
If what XSleeper says is true, there should be a noticeable gap ( triangular shaped with the largest gap at the drip edge) under the bottom row of shingles when viewed from either end. I can't image this being the case as the drip edge is normally nailed to the top of the sheathing. However if the drip edge is not nailed to the top of the sheathing (higher than sheathing), the bottom row of shingles will droop down until they hit the sheathing causing a low spot upstream of the bottom of the bottom shingles. Tell the roofer you want the gap removed before the shingles droop and causes another problem. Good luck.

Old 09-17-19, 06:19 AM
Thanks for the info. guys! The drip edge does look like it is pushed up and not angled down like it should be and used to be due to it resting on the gutter guards. If this tells you anything about the roofer, they wanted to shove some shingles under the dip and level it out. So, I am going to talk to a couple of guys that do gutters and flashing and see how much it would be to just take the gutter down, fix the aluminum flashing I need done anyway, and either fix or put in a new drip edge. After that a new gutter. I don't really need a new gutter but I want this finally to all be level and straight and work properly. Again, thanks! Don