Sump pump disbursement options?

Old 09-21-19, 11:57 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sump pump disbursement options?

When I moved in, the sump pump discharged too close to both mine and my neighbors house, causing water to make its way to both of our foundations and sump pumps. I extended the pipe a good distances, but now the issue is ponding water (the dark patch to the left of the pipe in the photo below). I live in Wisconsin, so the pump gets a workout almost year round. To make matters worse, there's a tree in my yard that has created a raised bit of land that slopes down towards the neighbor, and the ponding is partly on his property because of it. In heavy rains, it also ponds out to the sidewalk.

I do know the city allows discharge to the storm sewer, but that would be costly because it would mean digging under a sidewalk and through the curb to the street, right along the gas line. So this isn't a feasible option, at less not at the present.

I was thinking of finding some way to disperse the water over a wider area so it soaks into the soil better. Like putting a cap on the end of the pipe and drilling out holes along the pipe so the water flows out that way. I'm open to other ideas, but I haven't seen much in my search so far. Maybe make a gravel trough to drain to?

Name:  lawn.JPG
Views: 41
Size:  44.8 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 09-21-19 at 03:37 PM. Reason: added pic from link
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-19, 03:43 PM
Group Moderator
Received 343 Votes on 321 Posts
It looks like the center of your yard is low..... lower than the street. When the water comes out it runs to the center of your front lawn. Capping the pipe and putting holes in it won't accomplish much as the water will end up in the same low spot.

A gravel area...... like a drywell..... will only work if your ground is somewhat sandy and dry and the water can gradually drain. If you have hard clay.... the drywell will only hold a limited amount of water before overflowing.

Old 09-21-19, 06:53 PM
The yard is above street level. I think you're seeing an optical illusion because it slopes up to the tree trunk, then down on the back side.

Old 09-22-19, 04:30 AM
Group Moderator
Received 194 Votes on 180 Posts
I would connect the discharge to the city if that is permitted. I think you are going to have problems if you just dump the water out on the surface. Even if you spread it out you are still going to have a constantly wet area on your lawn. Plus there is the hassle of having to remove the pipe every time you need to mow.

Old 09-22-19, 05:10 AM
Received 61 Votes on 57 Posts
I'm surprised the town will allow dumping ground/roof water into the sewer lines. However, even if t hey don't, I had a similar problem. Run a pipe under ground to the curb area and let it dump into the ground or street. Digging under the sidewalk is a bit of a problem but not impossible. Dig well below the 4" concrete and using steel pipe and a sledge hammer push it through to the other side. Replace with your plastic pipe to curb.

Old 09-22-19, 05:33 AM
They allow to the storm sewer, but not the sanitary sewer, and if deemed a nuisance. I'm trying to beat them to the punch, and thankfully this neighbor isn't one of those that will report you for any minor infraction.

So let's say I did manage to get it under the sidewalk, I'd still have the problem of jack hammering out the curb.

Old 09-22-19, 06:42 AM
Received 61 Votes on 57 Posts
I just dug a deep hole at the curb edge filled it with crushed stone and elbowed the drain down. Did not go through curb. Been like this 40 years plus.