moss on roof

Old 09-30-19, 05:44 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question moss on roof

I just spent 5 hours scraping moss off of the roof with a small nylon brush. I have 2 more hours to go. Once you have killed moss with a moss killer for roofs, do you have to scrape the dead moss off? Would leaving it there just give a base for new moss to grow? It is tedious work doing it the way I am doing it. There must be an easier way. Pressure washing it is not an option. My hands would really appreciate an easier method.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-19, 05:31 AM
Group Moderator
Received 297 Votes on 271 Posts
Moss killing products don't magically make moss disappear. So, if you want the moss gone you will have to physically remove it. Pressure washing would be the easiest way to remove the moss or you can use a stiff bristled push broom if you have the muscles. Otherwise there is the hand brush.

Yes, I would remove the old moss. It's unsightly and it collects and holds water and dirt which can be a breeding ground for seeds to take root or more moss to grow.

Old 10-01-19, 05:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 153 Votes on 136 Posts
Pressure washing is fine for metal roofs but will shorten the life of an asphalt shingle roof.

Old 10-01-19, 11:45 AM
That's why I didn't want to use a pressure washer.

Old 10-01-19, 11:56 AM
I have two stiff hand brushes I am going to try. The tool I have been using isn't a whole lot bigger than a toothbrush. It isn't a yearly problem....just every 2-3 years. I usually spray the roof in April, and then let the summer sun help dry the moss. Is April the right time to start the process or should I be doing it at a different time of year?

Old 10-01-19, 05:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 297 Votes on 271 Posts
When it comes time to re-roof look into algae and moss resistant shingles. For now do some research on copper. You can run some strands of bare copper wire or flashing across your roof which can help prevent it from growing.