Getting Close to Tear-off

Old 06-02-01, 10:05 AM
jaknik2
Visiting Guest
I am now down to waiting for some dry weather so I can start my roofing job. I do have 2 questions before I settle on what to buy. #1 Shingles: My current shingles are organic backed asphalt. They seem hard to find here because most of the suppliers have gone to fiberglass backed asphalt shingles. I have heard bad things about "fiberglass" shingles in cold weather/high wind conditions. Can anyone set me straight on the asphalt vs. fiberglass issue? If it weren't for the substantial cost difference I might consider architectural singles.

#2 Roof Felt: I know the top class roofers prefer 30# felt for a better quality job. The supplier I am dealing with carries a commercial grade 15# felt and recommends it highly.

Thanks in advance for any help.........JAK

Old 06-02-01, 01:48 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I live on Albemarle Sound in coastal NC ( a VERY "high wind" area at times).
I have an A-Frame.
I re-roofed it in '91 with 30# felt (my choice) and 40-year fiberglas architectural shingles, AND I had them seal the edges of the shingles down all around on the "A" and dormers with 6" of black plastic roofing cement.
We have been through quite a few gale force blows, hurricanes, etc., and I've never lost a single shingle.
Your call.
Good Luck!

Old 06-04-01, 12:57 AM
Visiting Guest
Talking you fiberglass vs asphalt ?

your fiber glass vs. asphalt ?
asphalt has a cardboard mat in the center
and a fiberglass has a fiberglass mat center
the weight is were you also need to look at some of the cheaper shingles out there weight in at lets say 215 lbs a square were your heainteeaver shingls weight in at 225 lbs a square and a square is a 10 x10 area at 5 inch coverage !
now i perfer fiberglass my self !
and some roofing manufactures do make some good iformation avail to the general public -might check out certainteed company for one !

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: